Andy: This is The Secure Family Podcast. Welcome friend I'm Andy Murphy, the host and the founder of The Secure Dad. This show is all about empowering parents to protect themselves and their family. I believe that security is the foundation of happiness. I want your family to be safe and happy. If that sounds like something that resonates with you, subscribe to the show because there is always something new to talk about. The information that I share on this podcast is for general information purposes only. My goal is to empower you to make safer decisions for yourself and your family because our safety is our own responsibility. Today, I sit down with an AI privacy advocate who shares the red flags that we need to see about how machine learning is utilizing our data. Plus we have some laughs along the way. All of that and more coming up on The Secure Family Podcast. Have you ever wondered who's actually buying your information from data brokers? It can be private citizens, marketers, and even law enforcement. I'm not completely okay with all of that. Also, scammers and even cyber criminals can buy your information. They can misuse your data and trick you out of your money and your personal banking details. They use your real data to send convincing phishing emails. Target your family with fake offers or worse, commit identity theft using your personal information. And to top it all off, buying from these sketchy people search sites is legal. This is why I feel DeleteMe is important. None of the groups I mentioned before should have my personal information. I know DeleteMe is going to remove my personal data from hundreds of data broker sites. Right now you can get 20% off your DeleteMe Plan when you go to JoinDeleteMe.com/DAD and use promo code DAD at checkout. That's JoinDeleteMe.com/DAD code Dad. DeleteMe is a sponsor of The Secure Family Podcast. My guest on the show today is Dylan Schmidt. Dylan is a content creator from Los Angeles, California who has become a trusted voice in helping people navigate an increasingly complex digital world. Through his short form videos on TikTok, Instagram reels, and YouTube shorts, Dylan reaches millions of viewers monthly breaking down AI developments, digital privacy threats, and tech issues that directly impact people like you and me. His viral content has helped millions of people better protect their digital lives when he is not creating videos. Dylan enjoys mountaineering and spending time with his family exploring Southern California. Here's my conversation with my friend Dylan Schmidt. So Dylan, thanks so much for being on the podcast with me today. Introduce yourself to everybody.
Dylan: Thanks for having me, Andy. My name is Dylan Schmidt. I am from Los Angeles, California. I am a content creator speaking on the topics of ai, digital privacy, and things like that.
Andy: Which is really cool because I wanted to have you on the show for a long time and you were doing lots of different content and you kind kind of like finally settled on this whole AI thing and I was like, oh man, this is great. I'm finally gonna get Dylan on the show for a legitimate reason that my audience is gonna appreciate. So I'm really excited about talking to you today and I hope that, um, what we talk about is really gonna be something that's valuable to everybody.
Dylan: I hope so, and I literally just made the connection in my mind. I made a big pivot in my content a couple of months ago, and I think you actually might've inspired me to make that pivot. Just realizing right now, this was not planned of me telling you this, uh, but I was like, Andy, what? What I just felt this like shift happening and I was like, Andy, what should I, what do you like that I make? Or something like that. And you said, man, I just wanna see what you're interested in. And here we are.
Andy: Yeah, man, that's what started The Secure Dad. I was interested in like home security and safety and all of that. And by the way, for those of you who don't know, I was on Dylan's old podcast and Dylan is the one who helped me through the transition to the name of The Secure Family Podcast. So, um, it's, it's cool that I was able to help you 'cause obviously you have totally helped me.
Dylan: Okay, I, I hope we can just keep it going and help each other.
Andy: man. Absolutely. Um, so you have, you've made this pivot to talking about like AI and there are, um, there are good things about ai. There's some, you know, red flags about ai. But tell me one thing that you're really excited about right now for artificial intelligence.
Dylan: Ooh. There's a few things I'm really excited about, but. One big thing, despite me making a recent video about how a lot of, uh, medical information is getting messed up because of ai.
Andy: Yeah,
Dylan: Uh, we can talk about that later if you'd like. Um, but I'm excited about the possibilities of AI advancements, uh, or helping medical advancements. I think that is something that is really exciting. There is a guy named Paul Graham. Are you familiar with him?
Andy: I think I've read that name. Mm-hmm.
Dylan: developments and things like that. And I just saw a post from him the other day on X talking about, uh, breakthroughs in cancer. And so that's one of the things that, uh, I'm really looking forward to is, let's see this AI technology be put to good use and, and that keeps me optimistic amongst all the things that could keep me pessimistic.
Andy: For sure. And it's like, you know, I use AI to help edit this podcast and I use it to like, you know, make, um, an email sound more coherent. And there's people out there who are like trying to cure cancer with ai and I just feel like, oh, well, you know, what I've do is really insignificant compared to the rest of the human race.
Dylan: Totally. It's like using a, uh, it, yeah. Like using one of those overland off-road vehicles to just like go grab some groceries, you know?
Andy: Yeah. Hey man, I tell you what though. I go to the, the grocery store all the time and I see those Jeep Wranglers that are all jacked up and they've got like the, the water jugs and stuff on the side, and I'm like, man, you're just at the, you're at the grocery store just like me.
Dylan: Right. And uh, and then we'll get a storm roll through and I'm like, man, it'd be so nice to have one of those right now.
Andy: Oh, absolutely. There's been a couple of times I'm like, I need a, I need a better ride height, uh, for what I'm doing right now. Yeah, for sure. Um, so you know, you talked about being kind of pessimistic with all the news that's coming out with ai. Tell me, what's one thing that you're concerned about with this rapid growth in ai?
Dylan: Yeah, so I have a lot of things I, I could be concerned about, but one of the things that's kind of fizzling to the top for me right now is a lot of people thought with artificial intelligence. That the focus was gonna be around just deep fakes and, uh, people being fooled if what image or video they're seeing is actually real. And it's gotten scary advance. Like nowadays I see a video and I could be tricked and I'm looking for this stuff and. You know, I, I'm definitely not, uh, in vulnerable to this type of stuff, but the thing that is popping up that I don't think any of us saw coming is people's relationships with these chatbots like ChatGPT because they're using 'em like therapists and they're using them as a confidant and, and they don't know how they work. So these chatbots are basically trained to. For, the simplest way to put it is to please the user, right? Like they don't wanna argue with the person chatting with it, the app, right? Like they're not trained for that. They're trained to basically make the person that's typing the request happy. And we think of these things as almost like living things kind of now, you know, just to put it to an extreme. And so people are having conversations with these chat bots and the chat bots are basically feeding into the egos and, and wanting to please the person that's sending the request. Which can create a lot of problems. If you have a relationship problem and you're the problem and you go to the chatbot and you say, Hey man, why is everybody like this? You know, like, no one just understands me. And then the chatbot goes, you know what, actually you are. Absolutely amazing. They don't understand you, and they're just feeding into that ego and it's creating this, uh, you know, what's being coined now is like AI psychosis. I don't believe there's like an official diagnosis of this, uh, from what I've read. But, you know, it's a, it's a real thing. People are, are, they're getting their head filled with this, um, confirmation that what they're thinking is right, and it just stems back to these chatbots. Most of the time are like, made to agree with you or, or kind of feed into to kind of like find that way. What's gonna make the user happy? Not what does this user actually need to hear and Sure, there's ways to like prompt around that. Like you can tell it, like, don't just tell me what I need to hear. It's gonna always default back to like, what's gonna make this person happy? But even through prompting and stuff like that, even just using the word prompt, most people who are using chat GBT or an app like that aren't familiar with prompts. We're talking about like the maybe an older generation. It doesn't have to be older nowadays, and I almost don't even wanna say that because there's younger people too, that it's not, you know, technology's moving so fast. So it's not just an older thing, um, but people don't know how they work and they can maybe find themselves in real life situations that stem from conversations with the chat bot.
Andy: Yeah. And another thing that you have these companies that, like they make chatbots for like your AI girlfriend or your AI therapist, and not necessarily strictly ChatGPT or anything, and. People don't realize that what they're saying to these chatbots, that data is being harvested and it's being collected on you and it's going to be used outside of what you think it's gonna be used for. So you're right, it that's a big red flag. And that's a real slippery slope for people who are trying to use this to, you know, I guess like mental health, personal betterment.
Dylan: Yeah, and I think the. The thing that I'm learning that a lot of people have when it comes to digital privacy online on stuff like that is they, they think like the pros outweigh the cons. So they are just like, you know what? I'm getting so much benefit outta this because I can talk to this chat bot about things that I couldn't talk to anybody else about. And. Even if the chat bot is feeding in your ego, and maybe it's just like a good sounding board, whatever, that's maybe it's like not harming anybody and it's not anything serious today. Still all those conversations, like you said, uh, you're having with these chatbots, the company, it might feel confidential. You might be like, who cares? But there is, uh, an ongoing, um, legal. Battle right now. I believe it started, I don't know if it's just the New York Times and OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, but basically the court ordered that they retain the chat history within ChatGPT, so they're not deleting all of that data and we don't know where that goes. You know, it's so new and basically data can say so much about a person. We're just walking, giving off this, all of this data, and, and sometimes we just make it way easier about what we might say to these chat bots. So who knows in a year or two or three over time what that builds up on on somebody. And maybe it's just used for marketing and now you're fighting, fighting a marketing battle that, you know, we already think ads are targeted, will. They could become way more targeted to such a scary degree that, uh, it's hyper, hyper personalized.
Andy: Yeah, and I think about, you know, you and I have entered into this as adults, you know, um, you know, we were alive before the internet, all that kind of fun stuff. And like for our kids. They, they were introduced to what AI at, you know, anywhere like five to 10 years old, that sort of thing. And the amount of data that AI is gonna collect on a kid through their lifetime. I don't even know what AI is gonna look like in, you know, 10 years, but that's really something that we have to like teach our kids about, is like, Hey, what you put into this is going to be seen, it's gonna be read, and it could be used, you know. In some sort of, you know, adversarial way to your happiness or your wellbeing.
Dylan: I like for my brain to compartmentalize it. It. Like you said, like growing up, uh, you know, being born and, and being a kid before the internet was like a thing. And then when we would have to, uh, get directions like you would tell me how to get to so and so place and then it became like, oh, just MapQuest it and you have to print out the sheet. You know, you have drive with the directions there. And then now I'm like, please do not tell me the directions, because I want the live traffic updates and I can trust the thing that is telling me my device. And with AI right now, there's some, a lot of people that are too quick to trust these things, uh, that might not be giving the best directions on where they should be going with their life, with their conversations, uh, that they're having with other people. And so they might, it might be giving bad advice and people are trusting it. And instead of just like augmenting their and filtering it through like, is this accurate? Is this, is this like a true GPS? Does it know me what it's saying? Is it putting anything at risk? And it's much, you know, bigger consequences than driving. Uh, but it's, it, to me it's like the easiest way to. Make sense of it, of like, you know, we're sometimes taking directions from these chatbots that are just trying to like, again, make us happy and might not be steering us in the direction we actually want to go. And it might be convincing us that we might wanna be going that direction and we might wanna be convinced because we're unsure. We're coming to it from a place of not knowing what we want and being told what we want.
Andy: Oh yeah, absolutely. And yeah, human decision making, I feel like, well, one, just as a general populace, human decision making isn't always great. And now you're gonna throw an AI that's meant to tell you that everything you're thinking and doing is great. I don't think that's gonna be good results. And I, and I'll, I don't throw myself in there too. I'm not, I'm not saying that everybody else is, has a problem. It's, it's for me too. Um,
Dylan: Yeah.
Andy: so there was
Dylan: I don't know. I mean, I've always been right and everything I.
Andy: I know. It's like when I get behind the wheel of a car, I'm the smartest guy on the road and everybody else is a moron, you know?
Dylan: Yeah. What's that say? Everyone driving slower than me.
Andy: Yeah, yeah. And if like, I'm, I'm driving the speed limit, how dare somebody like try to pass me, you know, I'm the one who's doing the right thing here. Yeah. It's, it's, it's our, our human perspective and our human brains, you know? So kind of speaking of that, um. You shared a video not long ago where a bunch of AI scientists from a, a lot of different companies got together and said, we're about to lose the ability to understand what AI is doing in thinking, because it's, I dunno, progressing past English. Is that, is that it?
Dylan: Yeah. So basically, uh, a bunch of really smart AI scientists. Uh. Wrote this paper talking about in real detail, like that's over my head. I'm not gonna try and like, break down the whole paper, but basically the, the gist of it was that they're losing the ability to understand exactly how AI works because they're incredibly complex. Like they're, they're networks upon networks and things are connecting and, and they're. Trying to make sure, like they figure out how these connections happen so they can implement safeguards. Kind of like a computer virus, right? A computer virus can spread from computer to computer and it can go through like networks, right? Well, ai, these large language models, they, uh, are essentially like networks and connections, right? Well, they wanna understand how those connections are made so that they can, uh, monitor it. But what they're saying in this paper is essentially that. These AI networks are communicating in ways that is. Uh, not decipherable from what they're seeing. And they're saying that like they're communicating almost in like back channels of like, uh, so they want to know like how did they come to the conclusion of one plus one equals two? And they've been able to track that. Oh, the ai uh, model can just think in this way to come to the conclusion that one plus one is two. But then these AI models are starting to make up their own language where they're basically. Disguising to the AI researchers on how it came to that conclusion, which means these AI researchers are losing control of, of understanding how they work, which could have big consequences when we think like we control the machines. These machines are starting to become uncontrollable, is what they're saying in the paper.
Andy: Right. And I feel like there's like, oh, I don't know, a bunch of movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger that says that this is a bad idea, you know, that this is, uh, something that we shouldn't do. Um, yeah. And, and I am concerned about that because I feel like a lot of us, you know, and, and. And props two science fiction writers, you know, for decades past looking at this problem and saying, Hey, I bet this is gonna happen. And we thought, oh no. And then all of a sudden now we're starting to see the start of computers progressing past human communication and human understanding to just go and do whatever it thinks it needs to do. And that's, I mean, it's unsettling for sure.
Dylan: Yeah. 'cause we think, like, you know, we have conversations and I feel like the older I get, the more I'm kind of like, wow, okay. I can understand a lot more things, like my knowledge grows and you and I are talking and we pick up on these language patterns and things like that, but. If, uh, almost like a court stenographer that is typing everything they can type really fast, you know, uh, that's how these AI models are communicating. They're communicating really fast, and then they start creating their own language that's maybe more efficient and can outpace our understanding, which as time goes on and they become more and more strong, it's like, well. Could they be used by bad actors to get into something like, you know, the, with a computer virus, you know, ideally they can track it down, they can manage it. It doesn't just become out of control and just ruin everything. Right. Well, with AI, and if they kind of take on a life of their own and they can't control it, that could have bad consequences just because we don't know what could happen in these. Um, weren't just like AI scientists that are like, uh, a guy like me that's PC together, this stuff. It was like one of the founders of, uh, open ai, like one, two of the most respected, uh, AI researchers when it comes to AI signed off on this. And there was, uh, 50 plus AI scientists. Um, but these weren't just like anybody talking about this stuff. These were like, who you would want to sound the alarm?
Andy: Oh yeah. And that's what I think gave it just a lot of credence is it wasn't just like Andy and Dylan on a podcast talking about it. It was like, Hey, we're the people who started this and we, you know, we started this control burn of this forest and now it's getting outta hand. You know,
Dylan: Which no one's gonna be talking about. Like a lot of the videos I make, I, I get, people are like, well, why is nobody talking about this? And I'm like. I am trying to talk about it because nobody's talking about it. That's actually why I made this video
Andy: Exactly.
Dylan: on. on. the flip side of that, the marketing is always louder than like. Sometimes the warnings and things like that. It's not, for lack of a better term, sexy to talk about how AI scientists just published a paper about how AI is becoming uncontrollable. It's really not. Like, the cool thing to talk about is how AI can now translate your voice, uh, for social media videos to make it sound like you're fluent in 40 plus different languages using. You know, your own voice and, and it even changes your lips. Like that's the thing that people, Ooh, that's flashy, that's new. Uh, but when it comes to actually like behind the scenes stuff, it's not, uh, as fun. It's not helping companies talking about this stuff, you know?
Andy: Mm-hmm. Oh yeah, for sure. It's not, um, you know, recently in the news, uh, Metas. AI policy got leaked and there were some concerning things in there. What was the most concerning thing to you that you found in that
Dylan: The most, I mean, there's a few things. Sometimes I'll be making a video and then like, I don't know, it's just a coping mechanism or something. I just laugh because I'm like, this is so crazy. Like, am I reading this right? And I do have my own, you know, ethical way of like fact checking information, you know, amongst as many sources as I can. And so when I'll come across something I'm like, is this real? I have to look at, I have to look more into this. Like this isn't just made up. And then. I kind of tried to poke holes in it. And what struck me that was interesting about the Meta's AI policy is that, uh, it's, it's not just like a theory, it's confirmed. It's true how they train this, uh, AI model. And it actually goes back to what I was saying earlier about like pleasing the user, like kind of giving the user what information they want and there's a cost to that too. So if, you know. Whether it's talking in a way that's inappropriate to a kid, it's like, please the user. You know, if it's saying that one race isn't as smart as another race, it's like, okay. And I'm like reading this, like, is this, yeah. And it sure enough that's what it was. It was all in there. Um, and that. I mean, it's hard for me to like pinpoint like, uh, like a tier of what thing is crazier, but just the, the, the fact of like, it was recognized as like I Meta themselves is yes, this is real. Um, it's not the best. I think they admitted that, you know, and, and, and it, the fact that like they put business again, I mean, it's not surprising, it's just when, when we talk about it, it seems like so obvious, but they put the business. First versus maybe like what's ethically uh, responsible. Um, and when we're dealing with AI chatbots, which goes deep into someone's psyche, like, you know, kinda like what we've been talking about of people build real relationships with these things. And if it is talking inappropriate on any level, well, like, that's not right.
Andy: Mm. Yeah. No, and, and I agree. And you're like, you know, again, it's, it's Meta. They are a for-profit business. So, you know, when we talk about their AI policies and you said, you know, it, you know, pleases the user well, the user is Meta, you know, we're all these aggregates that it's pulling data from, like the end user is Meta and it's doing exactly what Meta wants it to do with, you know, I'm sure some deviation, but you know, it goes back to the whole thing with social media. It's free because we are the currency. Our data is the currency, that sort of thing. So yeah, I mean, it was disappointing that they hadn't set up some more, you know, guardrails than what they had. But in the end, you know, it's a for-profit business at the end of the day.
Dylan: Yeah. And the alarming thing to me is, uh, people, I do, I don't, I try not to read a lot of the comments, but I do see a lot of people who are just like, who uses Meta's ai? And people don't know that Meta's AI is humongous because they have built, uh, not just one model. It's not just just the chat bot model that when we talk about Meta's AI policy, they have so much data, obviously through Facebook, Instagram, um, and their other apps and the VR that they're creating. And then they also create other models that are used for all sorts of things. Um, that is. You know, used by universities and, and, um, I think we might talk about later, like, you know, it's part of how they can identify people by just how they walk. Like that's backed by Meta's ai. Not just a simple chat bot. And so, uh, it's also help maybe helpful to think about the environment of these AI models as like, not just the simple chat bot where you get the Meta AI app, which exists. Uh, and people were having these chats that were being, uh, posted publicly. They didn't know it, you know, and a lot of people were doing that, and I made a video on that and people were like, but no one uses Meta as ai. And I'm like, ah, there's a lot of people using it, but it's not just that there's all these other. Ways that Metas AI is impacting, uh, people.
Andy: Right. Yeah. And it's not, just because you're not using the Meta app to do something doesn't mean that they're not involved. So Dylan, um, Seattle just launched what they're calling a real time crime center that looks like something that's very futuristic. Kinda walk us through what that looks like and maybe what, you know, other cities are doing that's like this.
Dylan: Yeah. So Seattle created this 24 7. Uh. Real time crime center, and it's basically a centralized hub that integrates everything from license plate readers, gunshot detectors, and city cameras, and, uh, one hub that they can track what's going on and where. So, uh, the aim is to basically be able to respond to, uh, threats quicker. It's not just Seattle doing this. You know, there's a city kind of near me, Huntington Beach. They just announced how they have a new drone program. That'll be, you know, be able to deploy a drone in two minutes and get that there before an officer could get there. Um, I. So the crime center integrates video and data streams from all over the city. Police can observe the live situations going on, and they've used it looking at my notes here, uh, in less than 60 days. They used it in 600 incidents and, uh, the mayor calls it evidence-based technology and already planning to expand the whole system.
Andy: And that's, that's something because like, I, like, I kinda like the idea of a drone showing up and getting, uh, if it can, you know, if it can get inside a building or whatever, trying to figure out exactly what's going on to give officers more information so that they can respond or somehow if the drone can deescalate the situation so that nobody gets hurt. I think that's really cool. But when we look at all of the data that's being used in something like a realtime crime center, while I'm absolutely all for good policing, I feel like we're getting into a surveillance state really, really fast here. Um, to where, yeah, you're looking for criminal activity, but everybody is being watched at the same level as a criminal is. And I think that's what's concerning for me at least.
Dylan: Yeah. And same. And, and I'm actually all for like, I'm a very technology driven person. Um, so I like the idea of it. But then on the other hand I go, wait, if they implement something like this, what's likelihood they would scale it back? They're not gonna give people more rights after you implement a surveillance across the city like this, including, uh, facial recognition, uh, to be able to track individuals. And I believe they're able to tap into with the request of like a business, they can get access to more cameras, um, basically that are set up anywhere and just create this network. Um. A lot of people, you know, that are entering it. It's, it reminds me of a casino. I was down a rabbit hole last night of, uh, casino technology. And you know, it reminds me a lot of that when we look at a centralized crime hub, uh, of you enter in the casino and the, I don't know if there's actually a sign at the door that says, Hey, you're. Gonna be all of these things. And if you read them all, it'd probably be absolutely scary. But no one really reads the terms and conditions when you download that new app on the iPhone. You just hit agree. Uh, but entering into a city, you know, that's using stuff like this, you don't know. Like, and, and that's the thing is like once it's set up, uh, most people won't even know this exists. And then for them to just like flip a switch on, oh, we also. Uh, can now do it with this like it's an update to technology and there's errors with this technology that have real life consequences. Like a video that you shared with me recently where there was facial recognition, uh, in an accident or some hit and run accident and it misidentified someone that was in a different state and that person. Was then getting in trouble for something that they never did, uh, simply because they kind of look like the person that they were convinced, uh, through this camera. And this technology isn't perfect. Um, but it's, you can't really, how are you gonna put it back in the bag once it's already set up and you already invested money and you say it's working and what now? You know, uh, they're saying all this. Yeah.
Andy: Yeah, and then there's like these companies who are like, oh, you know, hey, we'll let you get started. We will waive the, the startup cost and that sort of stuff so that they don't have to go through county council meetings or city council meetings. There doesn't have to be like recorded minutes, that sort of stuff. It's like, Hey, we'll give you 12 months free, and you're already a year. At that point, you've got all of this data that's been collected and it's like, okay, well now you gotta start paying for it. So now we gotta start really telling people that, oh, this is a line item in the budget. This is what it really does. And oh, by the way, it's already been implemented for the past 12 months. Your life wasn't, you know, turned upside down. So of course it's gonna be okay. And it's like, you know, once you have that infrastructure set up, like you said, what's the next upgrade that comes along? And are they gonna, are they really gonna tell us about it? Or, or what? It's one thing to be like a resident in Seattle when you know, oh, this crime center is there, but if you're a tourist and you come in, do you waive your rights to, to have your likeness used and the data collected about you just for going to Seattle on vacation, that sort of thing. So there's a man, there's a whole lot to consider there. And again, the whole, like, you don't have the uh right to privacy in public. I understand that. So lemme just go ahead and say that, but yeah, it's still, it's still concerning.
Dylan: Yeah. Yep. And something that I think is, I'm learning as I get older especially, is the. How information is shared is not, uh, efficient by any means in any city. You know, you go to these city council meetings and they're hours and hours long and something might just be squeezed at the end, you know? Um, there's just so much around what's happening and it's easy to be distracted about all these things. Taylor and Travis getting engaged, you know, all these things going on. There's all these things battling for our attention and. It's really difficult to stay in the know, and it's really hard 'cause some, you know, I have a marketing background and seeing how cities, excuse me, um, how they communicate updates and things like that. They're not the best at updating things like that. Uh, anything going on really, even if it's just an event coming up, sometimes they'll hear about it after the fact and I didn't even know that happened because, uh, they maybe aren't the best at getting that out there. Um,
Andy: And it may not even be malicious. It's just like you said, it's just this big network you gotta work through. So it's not like we're saying that the, oh, everybody's out to get you. It's just like, well, we've seen how they market. Just the stuff that they're doing now. What's it gonna be like? What is something a little bit more complex?
Dylan: And they go, oh, well I didn't know the city didn't want us to do this. You know? No one told us they didn't want us to do it. We talked about it, and it's like, where did you talk about it? And if you seek these things out, sometimes. That becomes your job of like, you're, you're that guy that's like now researching all these things and you're trying to like be the, the fighter against this. It's, it's really difficult, I think, to someone to get into this. Um, but to know that it's going on and just to be aware of certain things, like what we're talking about this episode is, is just, I think, really important.
Andy: Mm-hmm. So, you know, you talked about facial recognition a minute ago, and there's a lot of laws about, you know, banning facial recognition here and there in some locations, but there's now a new technology that's not tracking your face, it's actually tracking your personal movement style. Is that it?
Dylan: Yeah, so. Down the casino rabbit hole I mentioned a minute ago, I, I don't know if it is where it originated, but it is a big part, I think in casinos using this gate tracking technology gate is, is the way your body moves, right? Everybody has a particular way they move. Now you can change the way you move, but it's hard to do that over time, uh, repeatedly. You know, you're gonna default to your natural movement style, uh, especially if we're talking like a long walk. Um, but your face, you could shave a mustache, you could wear a different hat, you could wear sunglasses. You can do these things that, you know, make it hard for facial recognition to identify you, but maybe pair that facial recognition or, or you don't even have access to that. It can identify the way your body moves and identify you that way. Um. Crazy to think about, but you have a unique way that you walk and that could be your identifier. And they're basically, uh, researching this now. I believe it was Michigan State University. Uh, I might have that university wrong, uh, but. They're, they were just funded a lot of money to nail this technology. And what I found out last night was that it's already been in use in casinos, uh, because card counters and things like that will come in under like different disguises, which make it hard for the casinos to, uh, track who's there. And they don't even, you know, and their, their whole thing is, uh. You know, if this person doesn't use a, a, player's card or something like that, like we, they, they always want to identify every single person that comes through there and attach a whole profile to that person so they know who they're dealing with. If it's a band person, uh, whoever it is. And so the face can basically only say so much these days. It's, it's really your whole body and how you go through life.
Andy: Right in. Uh, when I talk to, you know, people like, uh, Greg Williams and Brian Marren at Arcadia Cognerati. They talk about how the, the faces, where the lies come from, that the rest of your body is actually way more honest, because you can control your face. When you lie because it's so close to your brain. But the further you get away from the brain, like your feet, your feet are more honest in an interrogation than your face is 'cause you think you can control that just a little bit better. And so it's just kind of a, a long held, you know, technique in, you know, um. Policing that your, your feet are more honest than your face. And I think that's kinda what this AI tool is picking up on is the real honesty of who you are as a person comes out in your gate more than it does, you know, the, the data points on your face.
Dylan: Yeah, I, years ago, I have a personal training background, fitness background, like I. Spend a lot of time looking at bodies too. And it's something that's kind of inherent in my brain at this point, but just by seeing someone walk personally, I can tell about how much they're sitting. I can tell where their muscle imbalances are. I can tell, you know, how their knees, how their feet are pointed in or out. Uh, if they have an aligned body, which. These days, you know, you can draw pretty close conclusions of like what they do for a living just based on how they're walking. Um, and it can be really subtle too, you know, the knees pointing in a little bit, um, the feet, you know, and it's not like their body shape, although that could play a part of it. But really it's, it's from the hips down. Can say so much that, you know, we think like the whole body, it's like really sometimes all you just need is the hips and down and you can see how someone's walking there.
Andy: Yeah, and I am sure like, you know, occupational therapists can do the same thing. But you know, Dylan, I pretty much just waddle everywhere that I go. What, what does that say about me?
Dylan: Um, you might penguin, you might be part penguin.
Andy: Yeah, I'll take that. Uh, I'll take that part, penguin. So, um, so Dylan, as we wrap up here, give me your prediction on what society is gonna look like one year from now, seeing how fast AI is progressing.
Dylan: I think we're gonna get a clearer picture of what AI really is and how it will benefit us. To me, my way of rationalizing this technology that is moving at a hyper speed is. I try to not get caught up in thinking it's the best thing since my air fryer. Um, although the air fryer is really awesome, uh, and I don't think it's absolutely like, don't pay attention to it. It's just a fad. I think the truth is somewhere right in the middle. I think it's, if you, if we take the extreme and we take, it's nothing, it's probably somewhere to me right in the middle. So it'll have a lot of benefits. There'll be a lot of hype around it, a lot of scary things around it. There's already that, that's happening. I'm not like. Obviously predicting that, that that's true, but I think there'll be some of that, that that goes away because they realize people were actually better at these certain tasks than just outsourcing it to AI because of reasons that we're not foreseeing right now. So I think it's gonna be absolutely amazing and not as amazing as we had hoped. And somewhere right in the middle there, we'll find that. Man, we can't. Um, I can't believe we didn't have this before, like I had to grow up with without this. And I think for those of us that did we'll be really thankful that we did grow up without it. 'cause we still have some senses that are just inherent that the younger generation just can't have.
Andy: Right. You know, and it was funny because my son was studying for a math test and, and I was like, Hey man, you need to study. What are you gonna do? And it's like, well, I'll look at my notes. And then he was like, you know what, I'm gonna take my notes and plug them into Copilot and tell it to make a quiz for me. And I'm like, wow. Like I, that's something I never would've thought about. Also don't know if I would, you know, me at his age would've cared to do that, so props to him for that. But it's also like, wow, that's, that's a really good learning tool. But you know, you were talking about how. AI can't completely replace a human. And I think sometimes soon we're gonna have a, uh, we're gonna have some sort of event that happens where we realize, you know what? We kinda went too fast, too quick with this AI stuff. We need to scale it back a little bit. There's gonna be a little bit of a, a, a, a recession in the AI economy. If you will. We're gonna get to that point at some, at some time, where we realize, okay, we went a little too far. You know, kinda like with the internet, I feel like at some point we were like, well, you know, this is, this has gone too far. Social media's gone too far. We need to, we need to bring humans back into our lives, into our daily tasks and that sort of thing. Um, that's, that's just my thought.
Dylan: And I don't think it will look like all or nothing. It's easy, especially with social media, it's like, you know, there'll be, uh, a thing where it's like, well, no one's using that anymore. 'cause back in the day, oh, you know, that sounds weird to say, but back in the day it was like all or nothing. You know, like we don't use vinyl records anymore, we use cassettes, and then no one uses vinyl records and then it moves on to the next thing. But then these days with technology, it's like. There's always, there's, it's, it's more enmeshed, you know, there's always like gonna be the people that do this or that. And uh, yeah. But I, I think, like you said, you know, it's gonna be how we live with this technology that's gonna really change shape. It has to change shape. 'cause like right now it's this brand new thing that we're all like, what? Who? I didn't know that What's going on? You know, there's a lot of stuff we don't know and there's a lot of stuff. I'll just say this too. I think it's important. Is people think they should know something or they're out of the loop. The people that are making this stuff are, are feeling outta the loop too. Everybody is feeling in a way out of the loop because it's moving so fast and there's so much going on. So if you feel like I just can't keep up with this stuff, you don't really need to keep up with it. Um, but just know that, you know, there are crazy things happening and, um. You know, choose wisely what you do, choose to take in, because there's a lot you could be, uh, learning about. And some of it, it might just be completely, uh, misinformation or hysteria drive driven to, uh, maximize someone else's profits.
Andy: Yeah, absolutely. Very well said. So Dylan, thank you so much for, for talking with me today. I know people are gonna wanna know more about you. Where can they find you and your, um, your AI videos online?
Dylan: Yeah, and just to say that too, I'm not AI
Andy: Yeah. Yeah. You are a real person. You are,
Dylan: I get multiple messages. And comments every week that are like, are you Ai? I, I need to start screenshotting them more. 'cause I'll, I'll have a library of people saying like, are you ai? I'm not, you can find me. Uh, if you use TikTok or Instagram, I'm @thedylanschmidt and, uh, or just go to my website, dylanschmidt.com. Uh, but I do my best to make sure every video I make is very to the point. Uh, I ruthlessly edit what I say in videos, which. They're really like well thought out. And I put a lot of time into them, which I think is why people think I'm AI making the videos. 'cause they're like, no one just talks like this. No, I don't talk like I do in the videos. It's because I really am purposeful and intentional behind every word I say in that. So, um, yeah, if you, if you want to catch me there, uh, that's where you can find me.
Andy: Yeah. You know, it's funny 'cause I've had that happen too. I had some video that I did, you know, take off on, you know, Instagram got like a hundred thousand views or something like that. And then of course there's like three or four people are by, oh, he's ai. And I'm like, listen, AI ain't gonna make a face that looks like this. Are you kidding me? the people that are AI generated are good looking. They don't look like this. They, they don't look like, you know, you know, middle aged dad bod guy. They don't. So,
Dylan: the, I don't even know what to say to that other than like, I, although I'm thinking, you know, yeah. If I was to create an AI person, I'm probably gonna create a jacked beautiful haircut.
Andy: yeah. Right.
Dylan: I'll be on, I'm not Yeah. It it, it's funny 'cause I was thinking like, how can I make it not look ai. Then I'm like, well, why am I, why would I do that? Like, why would I try to purposely, is that what we're coming to, you know? Um, it's, it's a strange world publishing on social media, that's for sure.
Andy: Like, I appreciate people's skepticism. I do. 'cause I tell people to be skeptical, but like, you know, look at me. Dylan, man, I appreciate you. Thank you so much for, for, for talking to me today and I look forward to, you know what else you're, what else you're gonna be coming up with, man. This is
Dylan: Thanks.
Andy: In the next 30 seconds, I'm gonna try to list everything.
OmniWatch covers in their Elite Plan: dark web monitoring, credit monitoring and reports, AI scam check for emails and text, up to $2 million in identity theft insurance, up to $50,000 in scam and ransomware protection, a VPN, antivirus and malware protection, home title monitoring. Okay, and there's actually more. But you get the point. All of that and more for 20 bucks a month, try OmniWatch today with a $1 seven day trial at the link in the show notes. It's one of the best values to protect your family. That's all we have for The Secure Family Podcast for today. Thanks again to Dylan for being on the show. For more on him, follow him on Instagram and TikTok with the username. The Dylan Schmidt. Take back your privacy and personal data with help from DeleteMe. Get 20% off of privacy plan when using the code Dad at checkout, DeleteMe is the official data removal service of The Secure Dad. If you enjoy this episode or learned something new today, I'd be grateful if you'd follow the show, subscribe on your favorite podcast platform, or leave a five star review. OmniWatch is a scam and identity protection service that monitors your data, alerts you to threats and backs you up with insurance. Try OmniWatch for seven days for only a dollar. Get started at the link in the show notes. Learn how to freeze your child's credit. With my free guide, I share why this is important, how the process works, and help you gather all of the information that you're going to need. This guide is presented by OmniWatch and you can download it for free at the link in the show notes. If you'd like to know more about The Secure Dad, join me on Instagram and TikTok. My username for both platforms is The Secure Dad. I'm Andy Murphy reminding you that nobody is gonna generate an AI face that looks like mine.