Andy: This is The Secure Family Podcast. Welcome friend, I'm Andy Murphy, the host, and I'm also the founder of The Secure Dad. This show is all about empowering parents to protect themselves and their family. I believe that security is the foundation of happiness, and I want your family to be safe and happy. The information that I share on this podcast is for general information purposes only. My goal is to empower you to make safer decisions for yourself and your family because our safety is our own responsibility. Today, I get to talk with a security expert about how we can make a safe room in our homes to use in the event of an emergency, like a break-in all of that and more coming up on The Secure Family Podcast. The problem is getting worse. The amount of personal information that data brokers are collecting on you and me is growing. There are more details, more individual pieces, and more access than ever before. Rob Shavell, the CEO of DeleteMe, just told the Wall Street Journal than in 2023, they'd find about 300 pieces of someone's data. Well, that's bad enough, but today in 2025 he says they're finding more than 600. It's doubled and it's only getting worse. DeleteMe has 14 years in this industry, which is why they are the leader and have my business. I've been with them as a customer since 2018, and I can attest that their service works. Don't put this off anymore. Take back your data today. Right now you can get 20% off your DeleteMe Plan. Just go to JoinDeleteMe.com/Dad and use promo code DAD at checkout. That's JoinDeleteMe.com/Dad code Dad. My guest on the show today is Samuel Fish. He's a third generation security expert in the door lock and key industry. He started Shield Security Doors in 2013 with a mission of introducing residential security doors common throughout Europe to the US market. In addition to manufacturing, he consults for governments and corporations on fortifying buildings, offices, and residences. He recently completed the process of onshoring, his manufacturing from Eastern Europe to North Carolina. But most importantly, he's a dad. Here's my conversation with Samuel Fish. So Samuel, thanks for talking with me today. Introduce yourself to everybody.
Samuel: First Andy, thank you for having me on. My name's Samuel Fish. Uh, I'm the founder of Shield Security Doors, and we manufacture custom high security doors, mainly for residential. Also some commercial, but anywhere that there is demand for both aesthetics. security. That's really our niche.
Andy: That's cool and it's good that you mentioned like aesthetics and security, because I think some people when they think security door, they think of like a vault from a movie or something like that. But it, this is, you're talking about like a door that you could put on the front of your home, right?
Samuel: Bingo. The first thing that comes to mind for the majority of us when, when we talk about security doors is a big ugly steel door.
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: That's what it conjures up. Um, our doors are designed to look like virtually anything. Uh, one of the best secrets good security. I. keeping it a secret. if your security door doesn't look like a security door, if it looks like a nice custom residential door or a four panel door, a six panel door, uh, perhaps whatever was on your home before or that matches the other interior doors in your home doesn't attract any attention to it.
Andy: And that's great. And that's a very good point. So, uh, what got you started in the security industry?
Samuel: My grandfather was a locksmith. Uh, my great uncle was a lock distributor. My father grew up in, in my grandfather's lock shop, and he went on to, uh, start what one of the largest, uh, lock and key companies in the world called Ilco Unican. So, uh, if you are or any of your viewers have any keys in your pocket, I guarantee you some of them came out of, uh. Came out of his factories.
Andy: Wow. That's cool.
Samuel: the environment that I grew up in. When I had a day off school, was in the factory and I thought that's what all school kids did when they had a day off. You go to the factory and work. Uh, so that's, for me, that's, uh, where it started. It, it's one of those things that's always been in my DNA, uh, one of my brothers works in the industry as well, and for myself. doors was the direction that I went in, uh, personally. And of course it's not the exact same as, uh, keys and locks, but, uh, a very integral
Andy: Right. Mm-hmm.
Samuel: product. Um, and so that's how I got started in this business, uh, very much, uh, in my DNA.
Andy: Yeah, I would say so. So you're like third generation and, and, and dealing with this. I think that's great. So let me ask you this, you know, with all the experience that you have, what do you think are some of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to home security?
Samuel: The biggest misconception that, uh, that I come across, and this is really a cultural issue for us, uh. love it. And you've talked about this before. You've talked about a, a culture of locking your doors when the reality is we have a culture of not locking our doors.
Andy: Right.
Samuel: all have friends who say, oh, I live in such a safe neighborhood, or, oh, I live in a gated community. I don't lock my doors at night. it's one of the biggest mistakes we could possibly. Make. So from, uh, in terms of what's the biggest misconception or mistake, it's just not utilizing the tools that we already have available. Not locking your doors,
Andy: I, I, I agree. And like I used to get made fun of because, uh, I would lock my car in front of my apartment when I was in college and people are like, you lock your door. And I'm like. Yeah, like why don't you, this is just weird 'cause I grew up, I imagine like you in, in your household, the door was always locked when you weren't using it. That was just normal for me. And there were people who I guess thought, you know, that, you know, they, they lived in simpler places or whatever and they didn't worry about that sort of stuff. But man, like that was just a kind of a culture shock to me when I realized that man, people are not, why aren't you locking your front door? This is just weird, but yeah.
Samuel: and, and it. For, for, for Americans. That's, uh, it's something that we clinging to for our own peace of mind and safety, telling people, oh, I live in such a safe neighborhood
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: really important to us. And as a result, we have not developed a culture of security doors as exists in Europe. That market, that industry never developed. We don't have a culture of security doors. We ha we do have a gun culture. Which they do not have overseas, but we don't have that culture of security doors, which is the type of product that we make and are selling, but it's a very underdeveloped market here in the US compared to overseas.
Andy: All right, so let me ask you, you talk about, you know, the culture that we have here in the US of not wanting to lock our doors of living in safe neighborhoods. What are things like in Europe, because you're kind of referencing that. I wanna know what's. What's the, what's the other part of the globe doing? What's their culture?
Samuel: So if you go to any middle class apartment in Europe,ill find a steel door with a multi-point lock on it. And usually a decorative wood skin to make it look pretty
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: you walk up to the door, none the wiser. This is. You will find it almost everywhere in Europe, Western Europe, Eastern Europe. This is a normal product. A new apartment building gets built. Those are the type of doors that go in, even on older buildings. I mean, I, I remember, uh, my, my grandmother, my great-grandmother, uh, they were Italian. I remember on the doors in their apartments. were 20 locks on them going up in every which direction. It took half an hour to unlock the thing because there were so many bolts. Culturally, that's just what exists, and we do not do that. We do a one inch deadbolt. Maybe occasionally you'll find two one inch deadbolts, but other than that. Security doors in the US outside of the industrial and commercial space have always been the domain of, uh, safe rooms, panic rooms, celebrities, uh, wealthy individuals. the, uh, market for security doors that's existed in the US compared to Europe, where it's a pretty normal middle class product.
Andy: Okay, so you, you talked about a safe room just a second ago. Um, now I remember the, I think it was a movie with Jody Foster that had a safe room in it, and that was like. My, I think it was actually called Safe Room, but like that was my first introduction to the concept. 'cause you know, growing up I didn't have a safe room in my house. It just wasn't like something that I would've, would've done. But like, what does that mean to you? Tell me what a safe room is.
Samuel: A safe room. Safe rooms come in many different shapes and sizes. primary purpose of a safe room is to buy you
Andy: Hmm.
Samuel: in an a safe room is not where you are going to seek refuge in a zombie apocalypse. That's not what it's there for. safe room is there that if something, God forbid, happens. where you're going with your family. Locking the door. And calling the cops or calling for help or retrieving a weapon. Whatever you are gonna do in an emergency, you're going into your safe room to buy yourself time. That's the purpose of a safe room. And it's also why when we do security testing on all on our doors, we test everything to a US State Department, forced entry standard, which means our doors meet the same security levels as what go into US embassies all around the world. They are always time rated, so the
Andy: Mm
Samuel: level is a five minute door.
Andy: Got it.
Samuel: it means in a five minute test is that door is subjected to 30 man minutes of attack time. The 15 minute test, that's four and a half man hours of attack time. So everything is always a matter of time because if you have enough time, right tools and the right skills. You will get in anywhere. It's
Andy: Right.
Samuel: of time. I will get into Fort Knox if I have enough time. So that's the underlying concept here for people to understand. rooms, security doors are all about buying you time to call the cops, to retrieve a weapon, to assess what's going on.
Andy: Right, and you make such a great point about it being, you know, measuring this in time, not in weight, not in inches thick or things like that. I make the joke, uh, to my friends that I can break into any house in America with two things, and number one is a chainsaw, and number two is time. So like. You can get in anywhere. And I'm glad that you're making that point, and I'm glad that you're, you're helping people to understand it's not necessarily about any of the other metrics, it's about the time that it buys you and what you of course do with that time that you're given. So, obviously we've talked about, you know, safe room, kind of like in a Hollywood setting or something like that, but can the average family have a safe room in their home?
Samuel: Yes, and they should. That doesn't mean the safe room has to have. A highly armored specialized door. It can be a hollow metal door that you're adding a few deadbolts to if you want to DIY something, do it. Uh, of course this really comes down to people's budgets,
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: your budget is a hundred bucks, a hundred thousand or or 10 million, you can do something to create that safe room for you and your family. With a reinforced door, and it doesn't matter who you are, it doesn't matter if you're a celebrity. It doesn't matter if you're a politician, a wealthy business owner, unfortunately, you may need that room one day an emergency to buy you time crime can be, uh, very random and very opportunistic, and
Andy: Yeah.
Samuel: We don't really know that we are a target or at risk until something happens.
Andy: Yeah, and that's, that's a lot of people's wake up call is they, they think, oh, I live in that nice neighborhood like we were talking about earlier. And oh, nothing would ever happen here until all of a sudden it's happening. And I usually caution people that when those things happen, I. You would have the thought, I would pay any amount of money for this problem to go away right now. And that's the preparedness aspect of this, which I think is really important. So what are some things that we need to consider when designating a safe room in our home? What are some things that we need to think about?
Samuel: Ideally, you want it to be a room that only has one access point,
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: door into it. if it's on a second floor and there's a window, okay, that's not the end of the world because most likely. Whoever is trying to get into your home isn't gonna be scaling a ladder to get into the window. It's possible it happens, but for the vast majority of us, you want to have one access point. So it may even be something like a mechanical room in your home where you already have a fire rated hollow metal door. That's a great starting point, especially if it's an outswing door. That's even better if we're talking about. Working what you with, what you already have. Uh, so one access point, preferably solid walls. Uh, very often clients will say to us, okay, uh, I'm doing the door, but what about the walls?
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: yes, walls are very often a vulnerability. However, if you are the type of person that has a legitimate fear. Of someone coming through your walls, then you're in a different class of threat and risk. You're not just a, a normal person who wants to make sure that, oh, if someone ever broke into my home in the middle of the night to steal my tv, how am I gonna react? Because people breaking in to steal a TV or to steal jewelry, they're not coming to go through walls.
Andy: Right.
Samuel: are opportunistic criminals who are looking for an easy target. They're looking for an easy I. Break in, and if your house is not that easy place, they're going onto your neighbors. They're not coming after you of who you are. They're coming after you. Maybe you live in a nice neighborhood, maybe you live in a nice home and they're just looking for an easy target because the lights are off you fit the bill.
Andy: Exactly. Or you've got a nice car parked outside and they wanna come inside and get the keys. That's, man, that's a growing one right now that you know you're advertising, oh, you've got a BMW outside. Well, the keys are inside, let's go get 'em. That seems to be the, the mindset of a lot of people. So when we're talking about. Picking a room in our home to be our designated safe room. You know, a lot of people think, oh, well my, my interior door, it's got like one of those little thumb blocks on it. Um, but like the most doors in people's homes today are these hollow wooden doors that aren't really gonna offer you any sort of protection. Right.
Samuel: That is right. The vast majority of doors that we're gonna find in homes zero security. Very often when we are replacing some interior doors, I will ask a client, alright, send me a picture of what your existing door looks like. 'cause what I want to do is match the design. I don't want your safe room door to stand out in any way. I've long believed that the, the, the, the most important door in any home is the master bedroom door,
Andy: Hmm.
Samuel: because in an emergency, that's typically where we're gonna seek refuge. That's where we're gonna run to. And maybe it's also a matter of, okay, grabbing your kids running into one of their bedrooms. Depending on the layout of some homes, it
Andy: Right.
Samuel: be a hallway door. That leads to your bedrooms. Part of the trick to though to this though, is also being in the habit of locking that door at night. Maybe it's a question of locking your bedroom door at night, locking your master bedroom door. For people with young kids, that's not always possible, although there's upside to locking your master bedroom door at night, uh, when you have young kids coming to wake you up 'cause they, uh, can't sleep.
Andy: Right.
Samuel: benefit as well.
Andy: Yep.
Samuel: but that situation, if you are in the habit of locking a master bedroom door at night, we've all had our home alarm system go off in the middle of the night, wakes you up usually from the best part of your sleep, and it's a very disorienting, it takes time to figure out what's going on. Oh, did the neighbor's cat trip? The alarm? Did a gust of wind? Uh, blow open a door that wasn't properly secured. Is someone trying to break into the house? What's going on? You need time to figure that out, especially when you're being woken up from a deep sleep. need time to retrieve a weapon. You need time to call the police. So if you are proactively putting yourself in a secure environment with a locked bedroom door, you aren't worried about someone busting in through your door You've bought yourself the time that you need to react. One of the, uh, examples of the very unfortunate examples that really illustrates this, uh, a couple years ago, Paul Pelosi, uh, husband of former house speaker Nancy Pelosi. He was attacked in bed. the Pelosis are not clients of mine. I have zero firsthand knowledge or information about, I would bet a lot of money that they have a safe room. So why didn't it help them? went wrong? Well, we now know there were a series of security failures. The alarm wasn't set. Glass sensors didn't trigger, as they should have. Cameras weren't being monitored because, uh. Pelosi at the time wasn't there. Her security detail wasn't there. There were a series of failures and uh, Paul didn't wake up until someone was standing over his bed with a hammer,
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: had his bedroom door been the secure door, and he was in the habit of locking that at night. He would've been perfectly fine. There would've been an intruder in the house, but he would've called the cops and they would've arrived long before would've gotten into the bedroom.
Andy: Right. And that's, that's a great point that there was a lot of things that failed. I'm of course a big proponent of a layered home security strategy, and that's the core layer right there. That's if everything else breaks down, if you've got a strong door that is locked, that's that's gonna be there and that's gonna work for you no matter what, whatever else happens. So when you're looking at a safe room, what are some things that we should have in that room to help us in a crisis?
Samuel: If you have a weapon, a great place to keep it because it's also a secure space for a gun safe, a door that you can lock that adds an extra layer of control and security around that and around people you don't want getting their hands on it, able to reach it. So weapon, ensuring that if it is, uh, a, making sure it's a room where you have cell signal.
Andy: Mm.
Samuel: it's great if you are putting this in a mechanical room in your home with concrete walls and a and a preexisting steel door, outswing door. But if you don't have any cell signal in there, it's gonna be a lot harder to call for help. as I was saying earlier, a safe room is not really where you're gonna ride out a zombie apocalypse for that. You need a bunker.
Andy: Right, right.
Samuel: It, it's a place, it's a, it's a space that's going to keep you safe and calm for 5, 10, 30 minutes until help can arrive. So, yeah, you might wanna have some water in there as well. You might want to have a toilet also, you people react very differently in these circumstances and some people need the bathroom.
Andy: Sure. No, that, no, that's, that's a great point. Um, I actually advocate that people still have a landline, uh, at their home. Even if it's 10 bucks a month, I say pay it. Uh, we have one and it's really just for calling out. Like, it rang yesterday and I'm like, I don't give this number to anybody. I don't know who this person is. I'm not answering it. So it's really just for me to be able to call, you know, for, for help in an emergency, you know, that sort of thing. Um, but yeah, we need to.
Samuel: is always, uh, the best fail safe there, uh, because you can also have cell signal jammers.
Andy: Mm-hmm.
Samuel: that if here we're talking about a, a more determined, more planned
Andy: Correct. Right.
Samuel: or, or, uh, home invasion than the opportunistic, that is what 99% of us are worried about. Someone isn't coming after us because of who we are, our hope high profile or things like that. It's, you live in a nice home, in a nice area, and it looks like a, an interesting target. Uh, but all that to say yes, uh, a landline those who still have one, uh, a great place to put that phone is in your safe road.
Andy: Right. And, uh, like a lot of homes today are not, they're not including, you know, telephone wire in any of their stuff anymore. So that's, you know, if you have a, you know, a, a house that's been around for a little while, that's gonna be there. And in most states, you, even if you plug an old landline phone in, you don't have service. You can still call 9 1 1 from it. That'll be the only thing that you can reach. You can, uh, I don't know how much longer that's gonna be around. Um, but for now, in some places that does work. So you might wanna, um, ask somebody about that if you're listening to this. So we've, we've talked a lot about safe rooms here. Um, of course I'm a huge advocate for something like this. Without giving away any details or anything like that, can you tell us a scenario where a safe room really helped somebody?
Samuel: There are, uh, few, every few months you'll typically hear, uh, a call. Um, an emergency call. Often it's, uh, celebrities in Los Angeles. Uh, this one came out publicly and she's not a client of ours, so I, I feel comfortable talking about it. Uh, Sandra Bullock had a situation
Andy: Hmm.
Samuel: home invader, it was probably a couple years ago now, and she's talking to the police dispatch, and telling them I'm in. I closed my safe door. Uh, but she had a stalker. She had a home invasion. And, uh, that safe room kept her safe until the cops arrived and apprehended the suspect. Um, so that's a very real world example of something happening. Now, far more often we hear the stories of where a safe room would have made a difference, where it would've
Andy: Yeah.
Samuel: where it would've prevented a tragedy. Those are the stories that we hear about most often that keep me up at night and that I carry a sense of guilt with because I look at these situations and say, we could have prevented a tragedy here. Uh, one story that, that I talk about often, uh, is that of a, a young girl in, uh, rural Wisconsin. Her name is Jamie Kloss, and she was followed home one day. Uh, from school. Later that night, the guy came back to her house, knocked on the door, her Jamie's father. Jim came to the door. He was shot and killed immediately. The guy then broke into the house, found Jamie and her mother hiding in a bathroom, which is a natural instinct. They were looking for a safe place. It was a locked bathroom door, but that didn't stop him Very long. He proceeded to take Jamie's mother. Denise killed her in front of Jamie and then kidnapped Jamie and held her for 88 days until she built up the courage to try and escape, to run away, which she did successfully, and, and he was apprehended. This is the type of, uh, story that really highlights crime can be very random. And you don't have to be a millionaire or a celebrity to be touched by it. This type of situation, we can talk about Sandra Bullock all we want, but at the end of the day, that's not who the vast majority of us are gonna be able to relate to.
Andy: Right.
Samuel: Uh, the story of Jamie Kloss and her parents, Jim and Denise, that's something that we can all understand. Rural Wisconsin, middle class family, uh, both her parents worked at the local, uh, meat, meat packing plant, I believe it was. These are ordinary people and if they had, had a room, doesn't have to have a, a specialized drawer on it. Just a, a slightly safer place that they could have gone, the door and called the cops, it would've bought them a few minutes. For help to arrive and it would've prevented tragedy that's what it all comes down to, preventing tragedies.
Andy: Um, think about the average front door that's on the home of a, you know, a middle class suburban house. Um, what makes, tell me the difference between an the average door and a security door. What's different? What are the upgrades? Um, kind of walk me through that process.
Samuel: So the difference is I would say, one, having multiple locking points. A one inch deadbolt is great, multiple deadbolts is much better. So. Multi-point locking systems, or even if you're just adding additional deadbolts into your existing door, that you're doing is gonna be an improvement. So we don't have to strive for perfection, we're just trying to make things stronger. Improving the resistance. So one locking points, two steel framing or reinforced jam kits at very least. You don't have to totally replace your door frame with the steel frame, if you can, great. Do it. You won't regret the decision, maybe that's not an option. Add a reinforced jam kit that's gonna strengthen is otherwise likely a wooden door jam, wooden door frame, make it a lot more secure, uh, when you can have an outswing door rather than an inswing door. The basic physics of an outswing door are more resistant to trying to kick it in. Someone trying to use a, a battering ram, which obviously people aren't carrying around lightly, but sledgehammers axis, things like that. And Outswing door is gonna be more resistant to a basic attack an inswing door, just because of physics of the direction that a doorways. are typically the three most important starting points. Uh, additional locking points, stronger framing, and if you can, an outswing door. look at those as really being the low hanging fruit of where you can start. If you have glass in your door. I often, uh, recommend window. Uh, the 3M security film. it as good as. Uh, a high security glass, bullet resistant glass. No, but it helps, it's making your door more entry resistant. other point I wanted to touch on, because as I was saying earlier, we have a gun culture, not a security door culture, when Americans do think of security doors, typically the first thing that comes to mind is, oh, a bulletproof door. That's what we think of when we think of security doors. Now the reality of it is bullet resistance is not the most important criteria when it comes to a security door. far more important? What is forced entry resistance? How hard is it to break? In the example I give, we can build a fantastic. Uh, level eight security door, UL level eight. That will stop a 7 6 2 round. But if I can pry that door open in 15 seconds,
Andy: Right.
Samuel: what good is it? It's not gonna stop any bullets when it's open. Forced entry resistance for the vast majority of us is the most important security criteria in our doors. How difficult is it to break in? How difficult is it to break through? And that's the State Department forced entry testing that we do. Some of our clients also do need bullet resistance, but we always offer that as an option. Doors don't have to be bullet resistant when we test them, we test doors that are not bullet resistant so that we know, hey, if our doors are passing the test without that additional hardened steel, when you do add 'em in, they're going to be exponentially stronger for that. Attack. Uh, but sure that you're focusing on forced entry resistance. How hard is it to break in rather than just saying, oh, I'm adding a bullet resistant fiberglass or bullet resistant steel into my door. I'm good now. Not necessarily forced entry. That's the, that's where we should all start thinking we talk about security doors.
Andy: I like that. Yeah. And, and lots of great points in there. You brought up the, uh, the glass in the door. I remember watching a new story from, gosh, maybe eight or nine years ago, somebody had kicked in this poor lady's back door out in California, so she had a locksmith come and put a second deadbolt on the door. So great, wonderful. But the whole top half of the door was glass. Like, there were thumb locks on the other side, so you could just punch through the glass and then click, click and you were, you were in. And so I think it's, we talked about having the, the door locking culture. We can have like a wonderful security door and a great plan, but unless we execute it and we are prepared for it, um, like you said in the, in the Pelosi example, it's, it's not going to work. So, um, so yeah.
Samuel: use the tools that we already have. Let's start with using what we already have, and that'll make a big difference.
Andy: So Samuel, you know, home security is not just one particular thing. There's a holistic approach to it. What are your thoughts on like a multi-point home security system?
Samuel: Security doors and windows are one part of the equation and they're an important part, and I'll come to it afterwards, but lighting, alarms, those are all very important parts of a comprehensive security system. On their own, they are tools. For example, cameras, unless they're being monitored 24 7 are really an investigative tool to try and catch the bad guys afterwards. a camera probably isn't gonna stop. A determined intruder from getting in lighting will good. Lighting motion sensors can be a very effective deterrent. For opportunistic crimes, we've, we've all seen, uh, security camera clips of someone walking around a backyard trying to break in motion sensor goes off, lighting turns on, and they're out of there. Lighting is important. Cameras are important. Alarm systems are important that a DT sign on your front lawn can help deter some opportunistic criminals. But when you're talking about a determined someone who is not just opportunistically going around a neighborhood looking for the easiest home to hit, when we're talking about determined intruders there, you need more than just cameras lighting an alarm. That's where things like security doors, that's what's going to stop. determined intruder from getting into your home. That's what's going to keep you and your family safe. If someone is determined to get in lighting, cameras, alarms, they all help. They are, uh, essential parts of comprehensive security. But at the end of the day, what's gonna stop a determined intruder more often than not is a steel door.
Andy: And that's a very good point. Um, Samuel, I've had a really good time talking to you. Uh, today. Uh, this kind of takes me back to my roots in starting The Secure Dad with talking about home security so much. And it's nice to sit here and talk with somebody who's an expert, who, who has, uh, who understands things li like I do. We share a lot of the same opinions. So this was really cool. So if, uh, if.
Samuel: is mine and, and thank you for the opportunity to, to be on.
Andy: Yeah, man. Um, so if people wanna know more about you and your business, where can they find you online?
Samuel: So first at our website, shield security doors.com, uh, on Twitter at uh, shield Sec Doors, I believe it is. Um, we try to blog, uh, at least once a month. Uh, but for your audience, what is so valuable us is hearing. Real world, day-to-day examples and stories of their experiences with home security and what happens in the course of, uh, unfortunately a home invasion. How they reacted, what they did, what they didn't do, which instincts kicked in, what was helpful to them and what wasn't. Uh. We will often hear from some of our clients, uh, when we're fabricating products for them. Uh, one for example, said to us, I want a door that I can lock from the inside that no one can get into. Otherwise, even if they had a key, particular client was concerned about bodyguards turning on him.
Andy: Mm.
Samuel: so we, we developed a, a lockout system whereby he can lock the door from the inside, turn an additional thumb turn. That mechanically disengages the lock. So even if someone came with the key, you can also apply this to a husband and wife situation, uh, with a marital dispute that goes horribly wrong, uh, where one is trying to kill the other. Uh, it allows us to have to provide someone inside with the peace of mind to know no one's getting in, even if they have the key. Those are very niche examples, but hearing from people about their experiences, that is the most valuable thing that we can learn from in how people react, what's happening, and also what's not happening. Sometimes we think a particular feature will be very helpful, very useful, and the reality is it's not. So hearing from people, that's the most, that's very valuable for us. So please get in touch if you have stories, experiences of things that you have lived through, or people that you know have lived through. I would love to hear about it.
Andy: That is awesome. So Samuel, thank you so much for your time today. I appreciate what you're doing and, and being able to create a product that's gonna help so many people. Man, God bless you. I appreciate you.
Samuel: Thank you, Andy, and have a good rest of the day.
Andy: That's all we have for The Secure Family Podcast for today. Thank you friend for listening. Thanks again to Samuel for being on the show. For more on him, visit ShieldSecurityDoors.com. Take back your privacy and personal data with help from DeleteMe. Get 20% off our privacy plan when using the code Dad at checkout, DeleteMe is the official data removal service of The Secure Dad. If you are a DIY person and you wanna secure your home, then I have the ultimate checklist for you. My Family Home Security Assessment will walk you through how to protect your home without making it look or feel like a prison. Download your copy right now at the link in the description. I'm Andy Murphy reminding you that our safety is our own responsibility, especially when danger comes to the front door.