Speaker3: Welcome to episode 404 of in touch with ios the show the podcast that keeps you connected to the ever-changing apple ecosystem i am your host dave gansberg each week we break down the latest news updates tips and hidden features across iphone ipad apple watch mac vision pro and apple tv all with insights from friends experts and the apple community because here we read the release notes so you don't have to so let's see who's here this week and i'm going to start right away welcome back chuck joiner how you doing chuck back from ces how you been i
Speaker0: Am i am back i made it through and i have only a moderate cough to show for the uh the days in vegas so.
Speaker3: That's good it sounds like a lot of people if that didn't have too many too much trouble either
Speaker0: Yeah i i know a couple that did but for the most part i think uh a lot of us came through relatively unscathed.
Speaker3: Yeah so uh that's that's awesome uh and uh uh also jill with joe mckinley's here how you doing joe
Speaker2: I'm doing great had a great new start of the year and so i'm ready for more technology
Speaker3: Excellent excellent and uh jeff gamut is here this is uh i think day six so we've been together here how we
Speaker1: Have let's see today is thursday so we've been hanging out every day since last friday
Speaker3: That's right yeah
Speaker1: Also i'm surprised any of us were able to make it here today that we were able to find the episode because it is 404
Speaker3: Oh that's good one wow
Speaker1: Jill how did you not come up with that joke before me i know
Speaker2: I feel bad well first i thought No, that's 420. Oh, I get it now.
Speaker1: Don't worry. That one's coming up and we'll have jokes for that too.
Speaker0: And snacks.
Speaker1: Lots of snacks.
Speaker3: Yeah, lots of snacks. Let's see if he can recover from that. Eric Bolden is here. How you doing, Eric? Glad you're here. Good. Got to time my drinking better, though. Wow.
Speaker1: I think you're doing great.
Speaker3: And what bird do you have behind you today? Let's see. That was the white-throated sparrow. Still eating. Started eating earlier in the week. Still eating, which is maybe why it's nice, happy, and plump.
Speaker0: Love white-throated sparrows.
Speaker3: And, uh, we are going to give a shot. I want to give a shout out to Marty, Marty Jensius. He's not, he's a little under the weather today, so he could not make it, but we're going to miss him here, but, uh, hopefully he's listening and we'll, we'll, we'll get you back next week, but, uh, feel better, buddy. So, um, yeah, we're a lot, my God, there was so much news this week from Apple, uh, especially some new hot releases and beta and a lot of other stuff. And uh and we also have um so many other topics to talk about but the big thing that was going on was um uh was uh ces and you know we covered a little bit of it last week i just took it from a lot of the press releases and websites about the stuff but uh chuck you oh we always lean on you a little bit because you spent the entire week in las vegas and there was so much great stuff going on i know the show starts off with the ces unveiled i kind of completely kind of across the sessions you went. So CES Unveiled, how did that turn out? Because I heard some people were not too excited about this year, but others were, they were too bad. How did that session go?
Speaker0: You know, Dave, some of this is so subjective because it kind of depends on your interests. And... There were things there that really had no relevance to any of my audience or anything that I was particularly interested in. There were others that were, you know, I thought really, really good. It's always an interesting dance to try to figure out, do you want to talk to them at Unveiled? Do you want to try to talk to them on the show floor when theoretically they have a little bigger presence and, you know, there's maybe a little more time? Because Unveiled ends up, as all the press events do, it ends up being sort of a race against the clock. Um, and so I, I, we, we ran out of time with, uh, see, you know, well, actually come to think of it, we ran out of time at all the events, um, because there were so many vendors there. Um, and so, you know, I, I'm, I'm hesitant to say anything was, was not good because I think it's in the eye of the beholder. That said, I felt like there were a lot more things that were relevant for my audience and the kind of things I wanted to cover as opposed to –. Some other folks. I will say this, though, about Unveiled. Unveiled is kind of unique because you get almost no listing of who's going to be there unless you're reading all the press releases and somebody says, we will be at Unveiled, and then this event, that event, and on the show floor. So you're trying to figure out who's, and there are some companies that only go to Unveiled. There are some companies that only go to one or the other of the other press events. So trying to do that puzzle is always fun. So that said, you know, we got some great interviews at Unveiled, trying to make sure that we make connections with old friends and people that we might not get to on the show floor. And, you know, again, it was the one thing you got to remember about Unveiled, though, is that's Unveiled. That's the very first thing that is shown. And so So when the rest of the world gets up on Monday morning and watches the news on their local station or national, most things that are unveiled are going to be the things that they see. Right. Because it's the first chance. So you have a lot more press with camera crews and clearly broadcast crews there recording interviews or recording B-roll to put behind whatever they're talking about. So it's probably the most... The most televised or broadcast of the press events.
Speaker3: Yeah, that is. So then you moved on to the show floor, and you stayed real busy, I'm sure, on Monday. And then you had the press event that Monday night, which I believe it is, is PEPCOM, right?
Speaker0: PEPCOM was Monday night. And I heard it was really packed. Yeah, it was. They really need to make it longer because we had to leave a number of exhibitors on the table that we had on our list because they're just, you can't get to them all. But again, some really interesting events, excuse me, really interesting products. And it's strange how you see some of these people for 10, 15 minutes, maybe, once a year, but you all remember each other and you come back and shaking hands and hugs and hey, you made it back again or another year. And so there was quite a bit of that, and more so at Pepcom and Showstoppers. But some at CES, pardon me, on Dale as well. Yeah.
Speaker3: So, so, uh, uh, what really stood out on a Pepcom if you, if you can recall offhand that, that, that you found, uh, I mean, I saw that we got, you got three episodes already published. I know. So I saw, we'll go make sure I've linked to that in the show notes here. Uh, and, um, I, I saw you had a bird feeder. That was interesting. And I saw when you recorded it, you were kind of behind a pole.
Speaker0: Yeah, they had, well, the first two interviews we did were actually at the same table. And I didn't realize that until we finished. It's the same company. Oh, okay. One does a security, the one side of the company does a security camera that is cellular and wireless. It runs off of the solar panel. And the other side of the company does a connected bird feeder that also runs off of solar. So I kind of love the way they were leveraging the similarities. But, yeah, the first one behind the pole, there was just literally no room. So the person you're interviewing and the product are always more important. So I stuck my head out from behind the pole and, you know, got on camera for a minute and then took off. Yeah, yeah. The bird feeder was also, you'll see that, you know, again, we're a little bit obscured because there's only so much room. Right. And just to give folks an understanding here, when it comes to all the press events, everyone there is on an equal footing. They have only so much table space, and that's it. Just like, you know, it's not like the massive booths or the small booths on the show floor. Everybody has the same thing. And so when you have one company trying to display two materially different products, it got really cramped in there. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker3: And then, did you see, I assume you saw our good friend Larry O'Connor at the OWC? Did you talk to him also?
Speaker0: We talked to Larry. He was starting to lose his voice at Showstoppers.
Speaker1: Uh-oh, that's early.
Speaker0: Uh-oh, that's early. Yeah. But he ran us through some of the new cool things. Usually when we talk to Larry at CES, he's focusing on a lot more of the high-end stuff. And so we talked to him. We talked to someone they have invested in, and that's going to be an interview that comes out, and it would take me half the show to explain what it is. But suffice it to say, it was really, really cool. Stay tuned. Yeah, you know, I was just, I was looking over the list here, trying to break it down into, let's see, who did we talk to when? I don't remember. Yeah, it's okay. It's tough. We had a great visit with Mac Paw, talking about CleanMyMac and some of the things that they're doing. Cool. We made our annual stop at NextBase, which is my favorite dash cam, and they just keep bringing out great things. And I'll give a little plug to them because they are working with Mitsubishi to make their dash cams OEM. So that you can walk into a Mitsubishi dealer and say, you know, I want the floor mat, I want, you know, this, I want that, and I want a dash cam. And it'll be installed as a factory install. So that's, there are a couple other car brands that do that, but not many. And I think it's crazy that they don't, because dashcams are something that in today's world you really need.
Speaker3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker0: Let's see. We had a great conversation with Plod. Oh, nice. That was unveiled. Yes, that was unveiled about what they're doing. They're bringing out a new version that you strap to your wrist. And this is one that you can, while you're talking, you can reach over and touch a button and set a marker during the conversation for something that's really important.
Speaker3: Yeah.
Speaker0: Um so that was that looks really great um we talked to road um which i know dave you're you're using a road i can't wait to.
Speaker3: See that one
Speaker0: Yeah um and they're going to cost you some money trust me i know that's that's what i'm going to say um satechi satechi had a really nice uh dock i.
Speaker3: Saw yeah i saw it i was tempted to
Speaker0: Buy it yeah there's some there's some very cool there were a lot of docs at CES this year. So I think people are figuring that out, that, you know, people want to connect more than just what we can put on our ports. Let's see, we talked to Zback. They have improved their three... Yeah, that's the dual screen. Yeah, their extra dual screen so that it's better, it's more solid. And it... Not that there was anything wrong with prior versions, but this one just feels sturdier and more solid. It might be just a little bit heavier, but I'll take that over fragility any day.
Speaker3: Um, anything, anything Apple centric that did you, cases, I'm sure you saw cases galore for iPhones and, and such.
Speaker0: Um, Dave, we only interviewed one iPhone case vendor and I'm going to say that as a surprise. Um, because they, I will say this much that they were doing something unique with phone, with phone cases, um, from a construction standpoint. But there really, no, you know, it used to be iPhone case city. And either we didn't find them or that's become a thing of the past, at least exhibiting at CES.
Speaker1: I have a hypothesis on that, Chuck.
Speaker0: Go for it, Jeff.
Speaker1: I think the cases are harder to find now because, well, first, there was a time when everyone was making an iPod and an iPhone case. Like, we make smart toasters and an iPhone case. And so we're beyond that. But the other thing is the whole iLounge pavilion, that's not the thing that it was. Actually, I don't even think it's a thing anymore. And so with the iLounge pavilion, we had that very concentrated area where you walked in, and the joke became, oh, it's the iPhone case pavilion.
Speaker0: Yeah.
Speaker1: So now it's all just spread out a lot more.
Speaker0: And, you know, I think at some point the profit margin is such on cases that they just can't justify coming. You know, they can just – in fact, Speck was one – they had one of those booths inside of booths. But it was like really small and so it's just – That's different for them. Yeah. That's different for them, yeah. Yeah, because they've always been a big presence, and they really weren't this time around. I'm looking at my list, and I do want to mention just a couple things specifically.
Speaker3: One more thing to ask once you get through those.
Speaker0: Okay. Well, there's one I want to bring up because they do great products. I love them, and it's STM Brands out of Australia. Yeah. Great people, great products, but I feel obligated to push the— and mention that every year they give away skateboards at ces the line for skateboards is insane because you have to sign a waiver to be given the skateboard yeah because you.
Speaker1: Get hurt yeah exactly you get it home
Speaker0: Well yeah there's that but but it's it's but they give away 2500 skateboards.
Speaker3: It wasn't worth waiting for a line for that.
Speaker1: How many of them do you have, Chuck?
Speaker0: You have that collection.
Speaker1: Don't you?
Speaker0: I do not. I do not. But the line is fast. I mean, it's like an hour long. And to spend an hour of CES time waiting for a skateboard. But the promotion works every year.
Speaker1: Every hour costs so much money at CES, even if you're not a vendor. I cannot imagine waiting in a line for an hour for anything at CES because there's so many other companies I could be seeing.
Speaker0: Jeff, that's exactly it. That's exactly it. The other company I wanted to point out is Rolling Square. Some of you may know them for their cables. They've expanded into a number of other things as a number of the exhibitors have. But we met Una last year, and she's been very nice to us, and it was great to see her again, but also to see what they were talking about and showing, one of which is completely off the wall from their usual line. And it's a combination digital, it's an analog-style digital camera, but you have to load a digital pack in. You can only take 12 shots with it before you have to, or excuse me, maybe 24, before you have to load the next pack in. And then you can print or use the digital versions. So, and it looks like, I'm afraid, is it the Olympus? The one that's so hot on TikTok right now that's, you know, very retro. Mm-hmm. I think you're like an.
Speaker3: OM-1 or something.
Speaker0: Yeah, yeah. So that was an interesting little twist from there.
Speaker1: I'm trying to visualize that. Is this like a, like, so it's like the shape of the film roll that would go in the camera. So you can put it in an SLR. And where the film would be, it's like a digital sensor to load.
Speaker0: No, no, it's actually the form factor of, it's the whole thing, Jeff, not just what I described film-wise.
Speaker1: So it's the camera as well.
Speaker0: It's the camera as well.
Speaker3: Uh-huh.
Speaker0: And it's one of those. Like a DSLR. Yeah. Oh, it's not a DSLR. No, it's like a little compact. Oh, okay. But it's, again, it's so retro, and there's not a lot of the sharpening and all that. They make it very clear that this is supposed to be kind of like your old Kodak snapshots. Does it shoot raw?
Speaker1: Do you know?
Speaker0: Oh, I don't know. I think it shoots what it shoots, Jeff.
Speaker1: Chuck, you're letting me down, man. You need to ask all the important questions.
Speaker0: Jeff, there's always so much time.
Speaker1: I'm giving you a hard time. I love you.
Speaker0: Oh, I know. I know you know what it's like. because what we're trying to do is we try to go and take the attitude of if you came to CES and you're walking around, you see something interesting, you walk up, you get the elevator pitch, and then you move on to the next interesting thing. You know, you don't sit there for 20 or 30 minutes like some people do and take up both, take up CES time because there's always a line of people behind you that also want to see, also want to get the elevator pitch. So the theory is that if you've listened to the interviews we do and you're interested, click the links and go check it out and get all your questions answered. And if you don't, then you just do what you would do at CES. You walk on to the next interesting thing.
Speaker1: Um, I, I just want to point out, Chuck, I just gave you a hard time. Everyone, if you've never checked out the videos that Chuck makes at CES, you absolutely need to. This man could teach a masterclass on how to go around a big convention and get all of the content from all of the vendors that you need to hit and then get it out in a compelling way. Just Chuck is amazing at what he does. Go check out his stuff.
Speaker3: He's a machine.
Speaker0: Jeff, I really appreciate that. We did have one. We had a couple little hiccups, technical hiccups, and we lost one interview that I was crushed because I really want to get it back. So we will be talking to them. But otherwise, Norbert – oh, and I also want to – Jeff was very kind to put me up front, but you wouldn't see all the coverage we do without Norbert Frosso behind the camera. I can't get him out from front of the camera, but he does an amazing job of keeping things straight and keeping us going.
Speaker1: He's the best roadie you could hope for, Chuck.
Speaker0: Absolutely. Absolutely. But I believe his count was 57 or 58 if everything turns out that we got.
Speaker3: Oh, not bad.
Speaker1: That's amazing. You are just a machine, Chuck.
Speaker3: A machine. I ever say it every time.
Speaker0: But you know.
Speaker3: I witnessed it firsthand and you are. I couldn't even keep up. I just couldn't.
Speaker0: Well, you know, the funny thing is that there's so many – these are all great people. And maybe we just get lucky. I don't know. We vet things pretty carefully. But –, You never get the impression that there are many people there that are just phoning it in. You know, that the people that are at the booths, even on day three and four, are excited to be there. And they want to talk to you. And they, you know, they want to have those conversations. And I think that's one of the reasons that I love CES so much. Just like I used to love Macworld, that there's so much energy. You come home physically exhausted, but very much emotionally recharged. Mm-hmm.
Speaker3: All right. and then uh before we move on i just make sure to show what macvoices.com here this is the page that's got the first three first three uh sessions you you recorded at ces so please go check that out macvoices.com you'll find it there and uh yeah thanks chuck for giving taking the time to give us a bit of an insight on ces and we'll definitely be hearing more and then as i see things that are interesting as your videos come up we may even talk about it again so um so i'm i'm looking forward to your videos for sure
Speaker0: Anytime but just let me warn you about one thing they're going to cost you money because you're going to want you know yeah especially road you're going to want this stuff so yeah.
Speaker3: So, all right, let's go ahead and move on. We're going to hit beta, but I do want to mention that iOS 26.2.1 is going to be probably coming out very shortly since 26.3 is actually being prepared because we can anticipate that towards the end of the month. But it does appear that they're preparing to push out another software update in the interim. Apple's software engineers have started testing this. And according to the MacRumors Visitors log, as MacRumors has said, there's a reliable indicator of an upcoming iOS version. It's probably going to be a minor update to expect from bug fixes and security patches and such. But so that is that. And then with that, they did seed all the betas. I only had to spend too much time on that, but, uh, uh, iOS, uh, 26.3 beta, uh, vision, OS, uh, 26.3 beta two, it's beta two. And then you had watch OS and tvOS and, uh, nothing real notable that I could really say, we've got links in the show notes. You want to look at a little, little closer. Uh, but, uh, yeah, that those we're getting very close and it probably is going to look like, uh. Uh, it's going to be, it'd be hinting that, uh, it's going to be, uh, coming out in January, but around January 28th, I think is really that the date that they've been thrown out there. So, uh, and the other thing too, is actually that, uh, in 26.3, they are looking at a hint of upcoming end-to-end encryption for RCA, RCS messages. Um, you know, last March, of course, remember that apple announced the the support of this so it's been almost a year uh but uh the the feature is going to be mandatory where it's prohibited by local regulations which i would kind of expect maybe in the eu somewhere uh so yeah so they're talking about that so i'm excited to hear that uh you know we're with with who we work with in the android world we'll we'll have encrypted messages both ways on anybody that messages you. So that's a good thing. It's a very good thing here. And then in the Mac... Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker1: On the end-to-end encryption thing, when Apple announced it coming to RCS a year ago, like you said, they also made it clear at the time that they're waiting for the official standard to be released because they weren't going to do any pre-release stuff for that. So that's, I think, been the big delay in getting RCS in messages.
Speaker3: Yes. So, and then I want to say hi to everybody in the chat at youtube.com slash in touch with iOS. And Brian just sent this. He said, glad to see this encryption is enabled. Yes, I agree with you, Brian, that I'm glad to see that. And let's say hi to WebExby. He says he has pizza.
Speaker1: Oh, nice. Let's all head over to WebEx.
Speaker3: I'm gonna go over your place to have some pizza there and uh and uh and then uh wither buckets joined us as well as uh well he's uh he's out there and thanks for joining uh programming note i'll just make sure if we move on to mac i was going to mention that earlier uh we're gonna have two episodes this week so yeah yesterday it's already released this is as we're recording this episode 403 was with uh the wonderful katie fawkes and the the mastermind jeffa gamut and we talked about vhs tapes and retro and video and we just did a whole different topic that's kind of unusual to us also go check that out so you'll have two episodes in the in the feeds uh this this week uh for your pleasure so that
Speaker1: Was a lot of fun to do
Speaker3: That was a lot of fun yeah we had a lot of blast go check that out now it's in the feed so
Speaker2: You weren't even in the av club
Speaker3: Well, I am, I was in the AV club.
Speaker1: Dave was, I was AV adjacent.
Speaker0: Okay.
Speaker3: But that's a whole nother story.
Speaker1: I mean, I did spend a lot of time in the computer lab.
Speaker3: So I will mention in touch with Mac this week, Mac OS Tahoe 26.3 Beta 2 was released. There isn't a ton of things to expect. You're going to, as we've noticed here, so there really isn't having much change that I noticed. With that and then um also in um in mac uh will they announce the uh will they announce the new back books this coming the end of this month i hope so because i've made my decision i'm going to i waited for the m5 pro and i'm going to purchase as soon as it comes out i got the money saved i'm happy i'm not going to get killed when i buy it um but um they're they're tending to uh uh, think that it may launch on 20, the 28th of January, which is coming up as we record here. Uh, so you're going to expect, uh, you're going to expect to see, uh, the MacBook pro line, uh, of, of Macs. Uh, and it, uh, it, it will, uh, it will be cool that they'll have those. Uh, and, uh, yeah, I'm, I'm looking forward to see what, what, what comes of, of that and see who of us will be in the market to switch i'm i'm i'm near because i got the m1 so um then lastly i will just mention this is a psa if you're still running monterey uh the google chrome if you're those you who use google chrome this is a psa that uh they're dropping support to mac os 12 monterey with chrome 151 so that means no security updates so you'll have to stop using it um so hopefully you can move to safari or another browser it's still supporting uh security uh so be be aware of that so And then let's move on to some other topics um this topic i was looking forward to talking about tonight this is about i was excited to hear this announcement apple introduces the new creative studio bundle uh i was kind of surprised about this it kind of i think i blindsided all of us here they introduced the creative studio bundle that's offering access to six creative apps as well as exclusive ai features and content but it'll be as part of a single subscription but Welcome to the world of subscriptions, of course. In the U.S., it's going to be $12.99 a month or $1.29 per year. It's going to include Final Cut Pro for the Mac and iPad. It'll include Logic Pro with the Mac and iPad. Pixelmator Pro on Mac and iPad. You have the Motion on the Mac, Compressor on the Mac, and Main Stage on the Mac. And Pixelmator Pro, which was previously only available on the Mac, it is coming to the iPad, too. So you're going to be able to do all that stuff. have so you'll also be you'll get access to the AI features and premium features um and uh I mean I don't know I'm kind of excited about this I'd like to know what everybody else is here I'm sorry you Chuck because you're a big Final Cut Pro user have after you've been looking through this so where where's your thoughts on the Final Cut because you can keep the current version you have if you don't care about the premium features so
Speaker0: Yeah, that's going to be the thing, Dave. If I read an article, and I think I've got this right, somebody correct me if not, that at least for the moment, the quote-unquote premium features are also going to be available on the standalone version. So when the flag goes down, you're going to get everything on both. The question is going to be what happens next. How quick are the updates going to happen? And what additional features are there going to be for Final Cut, along with all the other apps? I know there was discussion of some fresh templates for Keynote that were going to only be in the bundle. So, you know, I'm sort of in a wait-and-see mode at this point. And also because I freeze everything about a month before CES until I finish the videos because I don't want to be troubleshooting. But, you know, listen, I kind of think this is a good thing. I know I will be controversial by saying that I don't think subscriptions are a bad thing if you use the software because it lets the developers get the updates out faster, add new features because they have a cash flow going, and they don't have to worry as much about trying to push the sales. They can actually work on developing the software. So I'm optimistic about this, but I think I'm going to sit it out at least for the first month or two and see just what the reports are.
Speaker3: Yeah, absolutely. Absolutely. Jeff, what's your thoughts on this? Is it something you're going to explore?
Speaker1: I'm not going to explore this, but that's only because of the workflow I have. It's not necessary for me to explore this. That said, first off, Chuck is right about the whole subscription thing. Doesn't matter if we like it or not. It's actually a necessary part of the software process. And if you want to have your apps and you want to have updates to them, Going with perpetual licensing for products like this, it has been proven over and over in the marketplace that subscription is the way that you make this happen. Okay, that out of the way, I was surprised and not that this happened. Surprised only in that I wasn't expecting something like this right now. Not surprised because I was expecting Apple would eventually do something like this. And depending on your workflow and your app needs, this now becomes a viable alternative to Adobe Creative Cloud. And I think that's the big place that Apple's looking to compete. Of course, Microsoft, they have their whole 365 bundle, which overlaps this to a degree as well. The fact that you can still buy perpetual license for individual apps I think is a smart move on Apple's part because for some people it does make sense to do that for others $12.99 a month to have all of this stuff plus the premium content hub thing and the royalty free content and the extra AI features, it's worth it for those people. So I'm glad that you have options. And I think this is a really smart move. I expect it will drive up usage of Apple's apps on some level. And for the people that are using the free versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynotes, don't worry, you still get to keep doing that. So well done. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker3: Um, Eric, what about, what about you? Where, where's your thoughts on this? You use any of these tools? Um, yeah, cuz. Pixelmator Pro coming to the iPad, that I'm most excited about because I've avoided using it because I want something I can use on the iPad and on the Mac. But like Final Cut Pro has been subscription on the iPad side already. So this is even better because you get the subscription. You can use it on both sides. um i will say that you know the education pricing on the bundle that's not subscription is pretty good so if somebody needed to for whatever reason have it you know maybe pick that up right away um but yeah i i think this is good i and and i don't i don't want to see the apps lose support and subscription is a good way to keep the apps around um and that's the thing well let me just get jill's thoughts on this too what is this something you're going to explore i
Speaker2: Did a lot of deep dive probably like david or chuck did because i use final cut pro i use logic pro i haven't used the other pieces of software very much and i wanted to see is final Cup Pro going to get those features. And like Chuck said, for now, yes. And so I probably won't because I bought the software that I need already. But I'm going to keep my eyeballs on it because there are some very good AI editing features out there that other software has that I've been interested in. And I think that this will allow it to come along with the subscription fee. Because You need to have money coming in in order to do it. And it feels to me like Final Cut Pro is competing with Adobe, competing with DaVinci Resolve and some other software out there. And this will allow them to do it. But right now, as it stands today, no, I probably will not, but I might in the future.
Speaker3: Okay um so yeah i think this is this is something exciting but they the other things that were mentioned too is i have to find the article to see if that's out there that they said they will allow for the the premium features to be available on the current versions now but i think they pretty much had said that apple had said that uh they won't be getting them in the future i mean i think it's going to be but you know you can they'll still they'll still update them security updates such but any of the premium features you would have to have the subscription and i think that's fair you know apple just just decided to jump into this the subscription world i mean you know I have an office a microsoft 365 subscription because you know i'm i'm in that world i want to have it and this is about what i pay for on microsoft so i might be double dipping here or with both um and who knows it might it might uh lean me towards maybe using pages and keynote even more which i which i pretty much try to use all the time but working in the corporate world it's hard because i have to be in the microsoft world too so we'll have to see we've got to make a decision where that's going to go um they also mentioned apple says is no longer going to be receiving updates for the pixel meter app on ios on your iphone i can't even imagine using pixel meter on on an iphone it's kind of a small screen um but i guess people were we're using it but they aren't going to be updating that anymore so it's you so so be aware of that and like we mentioned that the ipad version is coming it's going to have apple pencil support which is even a better thing when it comes to that too so and i believe you get the ipad version and the mac version in the bundle so that's going to be great so so anything else i missed you that you that caught your eye with this this uh announcement this week you guys
Speaker1: Did you mention student pricing?
Speaker3: Yes. Oh, yeah. Pricing.
Speaker1: That actually is a huge part of this.
Speaker3: Yeah. So, student pricing is $2.99 a month, I think it was. So, it's $10 less than the full version. And then, was it that that's $30? How much is that?
Speaker1: $29.99.
Speaker3: $30 a year. $29.99 for the year for a student. That's awesome. That's very fair for students to have that.
Speaker2: I was a little perplexed about putting pages and numbers in that map. You know what I mean? Like one seems to be one world and one seems to be the creative world. And I kind of thought there's going to be a lot of people who might want to do pages and numbers that don't want the, you know, Final Cut Pro and everything else because they don't do anything like that. So I wonder if more of this is coming.
Speaker3: Maybe. We'll see. Because I think they want to keep, I mean, just like what Microsoft does, they bundle all of their products to do that. I mean, Apple, I think, wanted to do the same thing. i kind of like this because final cut pro was its own thing and then logic pro is its own thing and then people and i still use garage band but now i might now if i'm going to decide to subscribe to this maybe i start leaning towards using logic port pro more i know it's it's quite advanced i would have a bit of a slight learning curve but it's it's similar to garage band but there's a lot more it can do that i probably don't need but but if they're bundling it for all of all of the suite of software yeah it might be something i might consider using so we'll see um but uh yeah so that that's it check it out and it's coming out in on in on january 28th now incidentally think of that date we just mentioned about the mac maybe that's maybe we thought maybe that could be the date to when the mac comes out for that reason uh to be ready for the uh the this bundle so Okay, let's move on a little bit here and we're going to talk a little bit about, um, iOS 26. It's, uh, it's been showing some unusually slow adoption rates after months after of its released, um, that, uh, analytics data has been unreliable because Safari on iOS 26 has been reporting a different operating system version in, uh, in the user agents that strings analytics services. And there's a reason right in there that you kind of have to question on, you know, trusting these things of any slow adoption rates. But it was published by Stack Counter, and it was indicating that around 15 to 16% of active iPhones worldwide are running any version of iOS 26. And the breakdown shows down to roughly, at least about 1.1%. In contrast, more than 60% of iPhones tracked by StatCounter remain on iOS 18 and 18.7. And I think the reasoning in here was the fact that Apple doesn't force you to update it. So it was always down at the bottom. So, you know, working in the corporate world, we try to restrict installing it right away because we want to make sure to do a testing. It isn't going to cause any issues. But you get to a point where you can unblock it through the MDM and then they'll start installing it. So only concern with that with me is I know I'm going to get hit up with questions because iOS 26 does have some differences, especially with the full screen and windowing, the windows that you get to use with it. But every year we talk about this, what the adoption rate is for all the latest version of the OS. It'll pick up. I think it will. People will get over liquid glass complaints and all the Windows stuff. Anybody have any views on this? I thought you would
Speaker1: I think that the conclusions from this report are patently wrong Because what they're doing is counting who's using an operating system based on web browsers. So what I think this actually shows is that only a small percentage of iPhone users switch from Safari to another browser that isn't masking the operating system version. I i think that the adoption rate is significantly higher than uh than this report Says and i think that when apple talks about their adoption rates they uh they of course they're saying yeah everyone's loving it but they also will say you know x percent of users are on this version okay apple can't lie about that that that would get them in serious trouble with uh with the uh the government because they lying like that would essentially be uh intentionally manipulating um uh shareholder value and they can't do that so honestly i i I think they they have come to the wrong conclusion with this report. And I'm not trying to be like Apple fanboy. Hey, you know, they're wrong because Apple's cool. Not the case. I just honestly think that they're reading the wrong information from the data they're collecting. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker0: Jeff, I'm going to back you up on that, but I'm also going to point out that if there is a little bit of a reduction in the rate of adoption, I think a lot of it has to do with the way that the press just beat the daylights out of liquid glass. And I have to tell you, I always hesitate, not because of the liquid glass thing, but I always let everybody else take the slings and arrows first, and then I'll do the upgrade. Once I did it, I was like, okay, where is all this controversy? Where are all these horrible interface elements that people are despising? There are a couple noticeable ones that still catch my eye. But for the most part, I had to go and look for it. And I feel like it was really done a disservice. And in the later versions, they've also changed controls so you could reduce the opacity so that it's even less of an issue. And you guys may not agree with me on that, but I just didn't feel like the Liquid Glass thing was that big a deal, especially on iOS.
Speaker1: I'm with you. On iOS and iPadOS, I think Liquid Glass is a non-issue. I think it's generally a non-issue on the Mac. However, the interface issues on the Mac, where it's like straight up dumpster fire level, it really doesn't have that much to do with liquid glass. It's the other things that Apple did with the interface that messed it up. Yeah.
Speaker3: Yeah, I agree. Joe, Eric, anything to add? The developers that have posted results about percentages of OSs all have been showing significantly higher numbers. So, yeah, I think the adoption rate is going just fine. I think if there was an issue with adoption rate, we would have seen a bunch of ads by now from Apple continuing to talk about how great and wonderful life would be if only you would update, or, you know, said better than that. And other than what we saw when it first came out, I haven't seen that. So I don't think Apple's panicking that people aren't updating. You know, I have plenty of issues with the interface look and feel and levels of transparency and liquid glass, But some of the accessibility features that have been improved, I really appreciate. So it's kind of a half and half for me and overall much better. So, yeah, everyone I know has upgraded.
Speaker2: Yeah, me too. I don't know anyone who stayed behind. But the other part of it is that the reason I believe that this had to not be true is how many people upgraded their phones over the course of the year and automatically got that iOS. So that would almost mean like nobody who had old phones upgraded and it was just all brand new phones because you had no choice. And there's more and more browsers. There's now a million and one browsers you can choose from. A lot of people are in love with Firefox or people are in love with Chrome or, you know, I like Brave. And so people pick their things. And if you're going to count it on browser, it's not going to. It just points stands is that it's not accurate. And to think of how many people bought iPhones this year and those are all automatically 26. It can't be right. I mean, it's just not even possible.
Speaker1: So yeah absolutely
Speaker3: All right, so let's go ahead and we'll move on to this big announcement that happened earlier this week. Google Gemini's partnership with Apple will go beyond Siri revamp. Well, basically what was announced at Google and Apple are working together to integrate Gemini into the S-Lady. So this is the engine of multi-year collaboration. We're under the next generation of apple foundation models will be based on apple's google gemini models and cloud technology uh the company said uh in a statement that uh this this will help these models will help power future apple intelligence features including a more personalized slaty of coming this year which is way overdue uh so yeah there so there was an announcement that that was made then this was news from actually posted it was news from google actually uh that that said it so uh so that uh is interesting to see what how this goes um and apple is excited about the innovations new experience and that the partner the partnership will unlock uh what it will unlock but uh the statement did not provide the details about any specific features yet don't go figure um it's unclear if gemini is going to power any existing apple intelligence features such as writing tools or image playground or notification summaries So maybe this is just kind of a more personalized version of the S-Lady that's going to be expected to be introduced. Probably with iOS 26.4, which will be probably around April timeframe in the 2026. So, Jeff, what is your thoughts on this?
Speaker1: Well, for all those people that were saying Apple couldn't figure out how to do all this AI stuff and they're going to have to turn to someone else. Okay, here's what you're saying. and it's a thing um It doesn't surprise me. I guess this is the episode of Jeff not being surprised and surprised at the same time. Because it's, yeah, I wasn't surprised, but at the same time, yeah. I'm glad that it's been made clear right up front that this is not going to be directly tying into Gemini. And so Apple will be doing their own thing and still maintaining the privacy that they have been touting as part of Apple intelligence. I think it's very clear that Apple trying to get into this space and do this whole thing wasn't going to work because they couldn't get the focus that they needed from their teams. They kept losing people and they're trying to do this in a way that stayed true to their privacy goals and they just couldn't bring it together. So they were going to have to partner with someone. This doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent thing, just like with Apple Maps. Originally, that was powered by Google Maps. And when Apple reached the point where they felt like they could go it on their own, they did. And it wouldn't surprise me if down the road, that's what happens with this as well yeah
Speaker3: Uh Chuck you got anything on this
Speaker0: Yeah, you know, Jeff said a lot there that I agree with the privacy thing. How long have we been not making excuses, but pointing out that Apple's always had one hand tied behind its back, maintaining their privacy stance where others were just out there doing things that were legally and morally questionable to advance their AIs or their large language models. And so, in fact, in some ways, I'm glad that Apple has done this because now they're not competing with some of those. They're benefiting from some of that Wild West mentality without having to take on the burden of both the burden of responsibility as well as the burden financially to develop this or continue to try to develop it. Now they can kind of sit back. Because if you think about it. Apple was trying to—Apple sort of broke their own rulebook. They were trying to be out there first in AI, especially as AI became such a big thing. I mean, we'd been seeing what we all know as Apple intelligence sneak in without it ever being called AI, like lifting subjects out of pictures and those kind of things, that we could do, and recognition of people and places and things in photos. And then when the whole hockey stick happened and everything was getting hot, that's when Apple appeared to be falling behind. And so I kind of feel good about this. And Jeff also made the great point that this doesn't have to be forever. They could strike another deal with someone else, Or if they get their own product to the point where they're comfortable with it, they could then just give you that and give you Gemini or... Chat GPT or perplexity or grok or whatever as an option. So I feel like Apple think. Okay. There you go.
Speaker1: I just made that one up.
Speaker0: Yeah, but I like it. I want a t-shirt with that.
Speaker1: Okay.
Speaker0: But yeah, so yeah, I think that this, this feels like a good move that will quiet down some of the, the, the detractors. I do still resent some of the press implications that Apple's, Apple's had to turn to Gemini or to Google or Apple's leaning on Google. I think this is just a good strategic partnership.
Speaker1: You know, they can both be true. It's a good strategic partnership and Apple's having to lean on Google.
Speaker0: Yeah, you're right, Jeff. You're right.
Speaker3: The other thing with this is I think Google comes out of this with a huge whim because everybody knows that Google has everybody that uses Google as their, you know, resource. Google harvests all that information and, you know, and so Google's had sort of a privacy problem for quite a while. They are picking up a major oh, we're concerned about privacy win out of this, even if they're not doing it directly. Because the ultimate in privacy companies is using a Gemini model And the difference between using Gemini and using a Gemini model, I think, is muddied. So this is a big win for Google. So I'm not sure the partnership will continue for a long time because it's a danger for Apple. But right now it's a win for both of them. Anything you want to add, Jill?
Speaker2: I was just saying that overall, I mean, probably anyone who ever saw me knows that I'm not a big fan of Google in general, although I use some of their products. And I was hoping, because I do like OpenAI so much, that there was going to be more there with OpenAI, although they're doing the health aspects. So you sort of see Apple carving up different AIs for different purposes, which is interesting. But I think that that is true. And Gemini has gotten so much better recently than it used to be at the very beginning that it has caught up pretty well with ChatGPT, which I think is the leader in this area. So it's solid in its quality work. It's just I do trust, you know, again, because of Apple and its security, I do trust them more. And so I trust that they made a decision that's going to protect us. And so, you know, like I said, I would love to have ChatGPT in there, but, you know, this is going to be on their way to their own thing. I think that's great.
Speaker3: Yeah.
Speaker1: Side note, this will make Gemini the most popular LLM practically overnight when it rolls out because it'll be the default on all the iOS devices out there.
Speaker3: Yep. It will. It will. All right let's move on to the news as before we get close to the end of the show here um a couple firmware upgrades that happened uh this week uh one of them and it seems like it happens pretty frequently here the apple released new firmware upgrade to the iphone air magsafe battery another firmware update but there are no specifics of what it includes um so there is a new version went from version 99 to 101 who knows what they did but you kind of get kind of worried with the the way uh the way things are with batteries having to have multiple firmwares that you know could that battery be a problem i mean i
Speaker2: Have to believe that it's the chargey thing you know that it gets to 80 percent and then it cuts off and and because that got changed in 26 i have to believe it has something to do with that yeah it has to be anyway sorry to interrupt you
Speaker3: No not at all no um so it's what it is and not surprising uh always happening but always good with is is the uh apple has did release the airpods uh three airpods pro 3 firmware upgrade um and so this is a new version again support document just doesn't say much other than bug fixes and other improvements they never give any details of what it does uh so no other airpod miles were receiving firmware firmware upgrades other than the airpods pro 3 so you kind of have to wonder maybe they did some new um new features in there what you have to do is make sure that you have it plugged into when you're using them they'll just get automatically updated you can't force it uh just you know make sure that they're up to date you know that's uh generally what happens when it comes to uh firmware upgrades here So and then we've got shazam shazam has uh come out with a new uh fast forward playlist and it did reveal some uh music artists to to actually set to rise in 2026 uh so they republished their annual fast forward list which is an accompanying apple music playlist that uh lists that list takes a look ahead at some of the most exciting music artists are going to be discovered through the song identification identification tool 26 2026's list of features are more than 60 music artists that have poised to have a breakthrough year uh and um you know apple describes it's this year's place playlist is uh keep it the brief here that they get millions of requests from users around the world who are curious about the artists who are behind a song and they're they're also requests coming all over tiktok videos and car commercials and such so some well-known someone not well so well known We're uh you gotta remember that the shazam was acquired by apple back in 2018 it's been quite a while um since uh that happened i don't think uh i chuck do you pick do you shazam much because you're not like the and i think a lot of us here are probably not ones looking at the the current music scene here on the billboard charts uh but uh i want some heavy metal in this list too right Are you muted, Chuck?
Speaker1: He was speaking at a frequency that bats and dogs could hear, and they were like, yep, everything he's saying is right.
Speaker0: And young people think, yeah, thanks. Go ahead. No, I'm not, I use Shazam like everybody else. I hear a track somewhere, and it's like, oh, I don't recognize that, and I want to know who it is. And sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, sometimes I'm a little horrified that I even liked it in the first place. But, you know, yeah, it still is something that I would guess I'd probably use it three to five times a week, maybe, depending on, you know, the week and where I am. So, and does that drive me to discover music by that particular artist? Yeah, sometimes, not always. Sometimes it just causes me to add the track individually as opposed to really, you know, looking for the artist.
Speaker3: Jeff, do you use Yam?
Speaker1: I do I don't know how often I'm using it But I'm using it every week And it's been a great discovery tool For years and years and years And I really like it The place I use it most often Is in the car If I'm listening to one of the, the indie radio stations or, or one of the jazz, it doesn't matter. One of the radio stations around and something will come on. I'm like, I don't know who this is, but I really like it as Shazam, what it is. And now I've got the list of, uh, of what I've searched for. And yeah, it's a great discovery tool.
Speaker3: Yep. Uh, Jill, Eric, do you use it? Um, yes, because I frequently get music where I, I can't remember the name of a song if my life depends on it. Sometimes it's my own music. I'm not next to wherever it's playing from. It's like, what is this? So, you know, I've got that little widget thing on my phone that hit the button, poof, comes back and it says, oh, yeah, not only do you have it, you've already added it to your playlist. You're good to go. Or it's not in there and, you know, it'll add it right in, which I think it's really cool because there's a lot of music I liked that I didn't know what it was. And so I wait until I hear it again and you add it right into your playlist. It's really convenient.
Speaker2: I would have sold everything to have this back in the eighties because I spent my entire life trying to figure out. And I, the last time I used it was seven years ago in a bar that had a song that sounded like going go, boingo. And it wasn't them. And I still don't know who was cause it was too slow to identify it, but I don't use it now, but I would have in my heyday.
Speaker3: Yeah. And then, uh, In the chat room here, Witherbucket says that, uh, I tried Shazam on my watch and it always seems to take forever. Google Song search through the widget is way better for my usage. I don't tend to find that Shazam is that, uh, that slow. I don't know if you guys didn't. You guys do? I know. Usually it works pretty good.
Speaker2: It was ages ago slow, but now I think it's fast.
Speaker1: I, uh, in my experience, I'm better off using my phone for the Shazam searches compared to my Apple watch. And I think it's because of the microphone in the devices. I think that the iPhone microphone, it's more sensitive. And it's just better picking up the sound.
Speaker0: But I also, you also might ask, what watch with a bucket? You know, how old of an Apple Watch? Because they've all gotten faster. Yeah.
Speaker3: He has an Ultra 1. Yeah, that's a good idea.
Speaker2: He has an Ultra 1.
Speaker0: Yeah, that still should be okay. Oh, okay. Yeah, that should be okay.
Speaker3: Yep. Hey, Jim Ray just jumped at us in the chat room. How are you doing, Jim? Glad to see you. He says, I don't even know how to use the radio in my car. All the music I listen to comes from my phone.
Speaker1: That's because Jim is a man of discerning taste.
Speaker3: There you go. Oh, gosh. Good to see you, Jim. So let's move on and talk about Apple Services. They had quite a record year, and this was in Apple's newsroom, for services. Um they had growth expansion and Then uh all kinds of great year throwing out game changes and uh music and news and and the find my services and all this stuff and here's the numbers uh you know they've had 850 million average weekly users in the app store 100 100 billion of uh incremental merchant sales uh you got uh 36 percent of increased usage and engagement in apple tv and uh number one year for the apple music listenership and new subscriber growth so they are just continuing to expand and keep going and uh and the movies are just been amazing the tv shows are just incredible um and they they signed a contract to be the official Broadcaster of f1 which i'm looking forward to that's going to be fun because the f1 movie got me excited Apple play has been going crazy and uh the digital IDs are now here are now here what I've I um and uh so it just goes on and on um in fact I I have a story I actually got to use my digital ID at the airport when I went to visit Jeff in Denver so I I walked right up to it and you were already gone I think when when I did it but uh yeah I just went right in front of it and just scanned my phone and boom done I didn't have to deal isn't that just awesome it's the it's the most amazing thing in the world so my Illinois driver's license got to I got to do that and then I could even have used my digital ID for my passport if I wanted to so you can I can use either one so uh so it's pretty cool I don't know no I don't know about the about the passport I think they may not be allowing it just yet but um but maybe they are I don't know I didn't try it Um, so any thoughts on Apple services? We all pay for them. So I pay for pretty good amount of it every, every month on the Apple one bundles. So any thoughts on that?
Speaker2: I think the Apple, I have Apple one and I think it is just one of the most favorite subscriptions I have next to set app. I just use it so much. And I used to get those rinky dink games that keep wanting you to buy stuff all the time. And Apple arcade doesn't, you know, that's the rule. You can't, they don't sell you anything. And it just is like my number one go-to thing. And I love Apple One, like I said, probably more than almost anything.
Speaker3: Yeah, yeah. How about you, Chuck?
Speaker0: Yeah. You know, to circle back, I feel like the services revenue is going to benefit from the bundle we talked about earlier with Final Cut and all. But, yeah, I use, in fact, Apple Music was streaming almost all day today. Just because that's, you know, it puts your whole library in your pocket, and then if you want to go to lunch, you take it with you.
Speaker3: Yeah yeah um and uh good you mentioned setup jill as i just remember that that just just got meant on on the new on a news feed today about setup setup is pulling the ios app store in the eu uh in the nine to five bat macram reported that uh the setup mobile third-party app store for iphone failed fails due to quote unquote still evolving in complex terms um since the The EU antitrust legislation forced Apple to allow third-party apps like iPhones with the block. With Mac Plus Setup app, Mobile Setup, it was one of the first to take advantage of this, but the company just announced it's closing it down. Like it says, I think it's the terms. It's really tough, I guess, to compete. So they're going to shut it down on February 15th, February 16th of 2026, and going to sunset it. So the closer may force subscribers to take out individual subscriptions for at least some of the apps. But I think this is only happening in the EU. It's not happening in the setup. I have the setup iOS apps that are part of the setup subscription. And Chuck is smiling because, or he might be smiling because of some of the notes in our Zoom chat. But what do you think on this setup announcement here?
Speaker0: You know i i'm a big setup fan i'm a big mac fall pan back paul fan um this really kind of didn't surprise me uh.
Speaker3: Because i think
Speaker0: With with the sandboxing and all it's a lot more difficult to attract users the way and developers the way that you can or they can't could and have and do with setup um i think this was a great experiment for them to try i'm not surprised it didn't work because of some of those challenges, but I applaud them for taking a shot at it.
Speaker3: Yeah. Oh, I agree. I agree. Um, so, uh, yeah. So anybody else, some thoughts on this?
Speaker1: This is a reminder that Apple is not your friend. Um, Apple's goal is to, uh, to increase value for shareholders that that's, I mean, when you get to down to the bottom line, that's what their job is. Uh, it just so happens that Apple makes products that actually do bring value into our lives. And generally speaking they do uh they do it in a way that um that can be more appealing to us than what other companies are doing um but apple is not our friend and they have no interest in making it easy for for uh third-party app stores to work anywhere and uh i think this this just helps drive that home. But good on MacPaw for giving it a shot. And now that I've said all that, at what point, and I'm just tossing this out there, I'm not taking us down a rabbit hole, just something to think about. At what point has it gone too far with governments dictating how businesses operate? I mean, was it appropriate for the EU to force this in the first place. And like I said, I'm not trying to start a new conversation, just something to think about. Yeah.
Speaker3: Oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker2: That's going to be my conversation is that there's the regulatory landscape's too hard. So it makes it difficult.
Speaker1: Yeah. Yeah. It wasn't easy for Apple, but at the same time, I don't think Apple wanted to make it easy. Yeah, right.
Speaker0: I so much want to have this conversation, but I won't hijack the show.
Speaker1: Well, maybe you have a special Mac Voices edition.
Speaker0: Yeah.
Speaker1: Yeah.
Speaker3: Um, so, uh, let's go ahead and move on. Apple podcasts is officially more popular than it's ever been. Uh, Apple published updates on a variety of services. Of course we just talked about, and one of the most surprising details involved Apple podcasts, it celebrated its best year yet, despite strong competition from YouTube and Spotify. Uh, it, uh, it had record listeners, plays and subscribers just a few years ago. Apple podcasts was a lone dormant player in the podcast space. Itunes is where the podcast first thrived but uh and that was even inspired by apple's ipod um but uh within the last couple years i apparently competitors like youtube and Spotify were eating up the huge chunk of the market podcast market because of these changes apple podcast seemed to be more of a niche player but uh then yet apple says 2025 one of its best years ever recording record listeners plays and subscribers too uh i guess the most natural explanation despite apple's losing its market share uh and the overall but and the market overall has grown significantly so in other words it's uh it may own a much smaller piece of the podcasting pie than it did before but that pie is now huge and a few of us here being podcasters i would tend to agree is a place to uh uh doing that so and jeff then i'm gonna put this broadcast I hear what you just said in our chat in Zoom, Apple is doing a great job of spinning podcasts at the popularity. I would agree with that. What do you think?
Speaker1: Well, okay, you put me on the spot. That's fair. This is like me saying 2025 was the best year yet for me speaking Spanish. Like maybe I learned a word. This is a non-announcement. I'm not going to make you edit, but the word that I want to use to describe this, you would have to do an edit. No, seriously. Apple is trying to spin, we're not number one, into a positive. If you want to look at the big names in podcasts, aggregators, the places where people go, number one, YouTube. Number two Spotify number three who cares because I mean of course we all care because it matters and people do go to Apple podcasts to find things and it is an important player in this game but come on we had our best year yet yeah well so did I because because I learned that uh don deus da casa pantalones is a stupid thing to say hey where where is my house of pants
Speaker0: Yeah i'm just gonna say i thought i would.
Speaker3: Share this somewhere yeah i knew you wanted to share this and didn't put you on the spot because i i knew you would want to say something about it so that's why it
Speaker1: Is so easy to read me i know this is why everyone should play poker with me because you'll just win I don't know. At the same time, never play poker with Dave Ginsberg. And I'm not going to elaborate on that. Just trust me. Never play poker with Dave Ginsberg.
Speaker3: We'll talk after dark. Chuck, go ahead.
Speaker0: You know, I hear what Jeff's saying. The one thing, though, that I think needs to factor in here a little bit is that Apple has been adding and improving the podcast app. And I think as a result, that is, yeah, it's their best year. Well, I'm glad to hear it because, you know, it's not good if you're improving your app and things are going the other direction. So I feel like there may be a little bit of legitimacy here because it is starting to offer some features that may not be found in some of the other major podcast players. And that to me is, you know, that's one of the big choices here. If you're going to be a podcast consumer, you know, how are you going to consume it? What software are you going to use? To Jeff's point, you have Spotify, you have YouTube. But podcast aficionados, I do not for a second believe, spend a lot of time on Spotify or YouTube. I think they're running through something like Overcast or Apple Podcasts. Sorry, Jeff, didn't need to cut you off.
Speaker1: Oh, nope, you're fine. I was agreeing with you. Yep. I think that the third-party podcast apps are incredibly popular, and so they're getting that share that Apple wants to have in the podcast app. Yeah. Jill's still thinking, I need to know more about this poker thing.
Speaker2: Yeah, I do want to know. But I remember when they came out with the podcast app and they said, oh, we're not going to allow other podcast apps on the platform because why? We already made it. We already made a perfect one and it's great. And it wasn't great back then, but it isn't really good now. It doesn't have the features that I'm looking for, which are the playlists and the cutting, you know, the speeds or the cutting the gaps and all these other things that other apps have. But if they started getting that, I probably would switch over because I've had a number of significant bugs with other podcast apps that I would go back to it. But, you know, I think, like I said, they've come a long way and they've improved it. And you're right. You know, they had one user before. Now they have three. Wow, it's a 300% increase or a 200% increase, you know, so you can play with stats all day long. But I think it is solidly a good app now, and I'm, you know, I'm anxious to see what they're going to do in the future with it.
Speaker1: I agree. It is a good app.
Speaker3: Yeah, it is. It's gotten better. I always was, I've been so enjoying using Pocket Casts, I just kind of, I've just kind of avoided it. But I probably need to put a little more focus on it. But I keep, I keep that, mention them. So, yep, they do a good job.
Speaker1: And just for clarity, I'm not slamming the podcast app because, Jill, you're right. This is a really good app, and they've made a lot of improvements. What I'm slamming is the way Apple is trying to spin a positive into promoting the podcast app the way they did. Yeah, totally.
Speaker3: All right so let's go go on to um apple has adjusted the trade-in values for iphone max and more uh this actually was just released out today uh it's a recording here uh there's a chart and the link in the show notes for the mac mac rumors so what the pricing has gone up uh so we see a little bit of increase in some of the iphones um uh especially the 16 pro max that up to about 20 or 20 bucks there uh all the way down to the it seems some some some little bit increased values but as you start dropping down a little below and then you're down to the 12 and um in the 12 pro you're at 160 stayed the same and then you got the 13 which is about 180 so you're going to start seeing that the lower end models the the 14s which still a lot of people are using that's still about 300 bucks on the pro um so that's not too bad um and then uh going down to the Macs. Well, they still give you 40 bucks for the iPhone 8. Wow. I'm surprised that you can give that. Yeah. Must be that that's a kind of a bonus there um and then the the ipads you have the pros around seven hundred dollars uh up to of course and then all the way down to the mini about 255 and then the mac so you got the um the the new values for the pro this is kind of strange it's going it went from an old value of 760 dollars to 2515 dollars really i have to see what my m1's gonna get me when i decide to trade it in if it's gone yeah i think it's not gonna be that much i i
Speaker1: I think apple realized that um uh screwing over your customers like that is uh bad form yeah because seriously that that was way too low for some of the models
Speaker3: It seemed especially my i have the m1 pro 16 inch and and it's got one terabyte storage i mean and you're gonna give me 600 bucks for that you know so um then the macbook air was went up to 900 from 540 so yeah the the mac pricing even with the imac and this is from 375 to 875 so this is some good stuff how about the mac pro they're still offering 3215 for it when it was 2520 so is that because they're adding newer models in there yeah maybe um it's hard to say it's hard to say so apple watch prices seem are are pretty stagnant i i never got i mean i i kept my series nine and my and my wife ended up going with it so uh so uh and then i guess there was an update after this that uh the apple had just adjusted the published trading prices uh for the second time today and there's some wild swings now they're quoting oh here we go now they're quoting a 710 for a macbook pro So the pricing goes all over the place. So, yeah, I got teased there. But not looking at the fine print at the bottom of the article. But check that out. So it was very cool. And then the last story I wanted to mention, unless anybody else had anything to add to that, I wanted to talk about is the Apple TV has unveiled a major sci-fi series. It's coming next month. Monarch Legacy of Monsters is returning to Apple TV next month. That's for season two it's it's the sci-fi epic with godzilla and king kong just revealed a brand new titan in its first trailer ooh uh so a lot apple tv has a strong library of uh sci-fi favorites with its mainstream severance and pluribus i gotta finish pluribus i i got way so into it i haven't finished yet i gotta watch it no
Speaker1: Spoilers but yes you have to
Speaker3: Watch it i was like i think i was up to episode six i was watching on the plane going to go going to see you and coming home so uh and the foundation silo and dark matter um but the one that these biggest epics was this one so uh let me go back and i gotta watch this one too so you guys excited about this yes
Speaker2: Well, my brother and I had a very big conversation, and he is probably going to be very excited about this show, but I am not into giant monsters. I am more into space and old school fantasy.
Speaker1: Jill, for me, I was very worried about this just being Monster Fight of the Week. And I was so pleasantly surprised when it was about the people and the monsters are kind of on the periphery, occasionally right in the middle of it. But it's about the people and the effect that the monsters are having on the people.
Speaker2: It reminds me of Quiet then. You know that Quiet series that's on Netflix where monsters come down and they hear everything and then they kill you. And it really has to do with more of what happened to society when you have a monster that kills you when it can hear anything. So maybe it's a little bit like that. What do people do about that?
Speaker1: Yeah. And what happens in the aftermath of the big battles that were in the movies?
Speaker0: And Jill, I'll tell you what, I'm kind of a passive fan of Godzilla and King Kong and all that. And so when this first was announced, it's like, okay, I'll give it a shot. And I was blown away by how much I liked it and how well done it was. To Jeff's point, it wasn't just monsters crashing through cities. It was a lot more to it. And so I would tell you to give it maybe two episodes and see. And if it's not for you, that's fine. But it's not, it's absolutely not what I thought it would be. And I have no reason to believe that'll change. And so, you know, it's one I wish everyone would at least give a shot, even if you're not a monster fan.
Speaker2: Okay, I'll do it.
Speaker1: In the chat, Witherbucket, totally nailed it. The best kaiju entertainment is about the people. Absolutely true. And that's why Godzilla Minus One is really, in my opinion, like top of the Godzilla movies. Yep.
Speaker2: That was part of the conversation too. Yeah. So, no, that makes a difference and I will try it out.
Speaker3: Still really good monsters, but the people matter.
Speaker1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker3: All right um all right so before we go i wanted to make give a shout out to a couple of mac user groups that jeff and i were uh presented this past week uh the first one is the naples mug uh it's uh naplesmug.com um i spoke on um uh on on this past tuesday and uh we had a had a really great time i i did a session on cross-platform screen capture across all the platforms and beyond a lot of good interaction had a lot of fun uh it was cool that the pre uh pre-meeting uh shida shout out to shida she's he's always listening i appreciate you listening shida uh that uh we mentioned drive buddy uh last uh last time i think chuck you weren't here and i don't know if you did see this or not but uh this is a this is An app that allows you to be able to scan every single one of your drives and it allows you to create a catalog and have it offline it creates csv files and it also creates uh one search all your drives so you can plug in 45 different drives and have them hooked up and it will do a catalog of every single one of them and it stores it locally so you don't have to go plug the drives in and then you'll know by by creating kind of a catalog and there's the csv export it's not that expensive it's only like $19.99 it's a one-time charge um and uh yeah she she she shouted out that she that i twisted around she bought it so i thought this was a really cool really cool uh cool app and thanks for thanks for mentioning that cheetah uh and then it was mac and tech that uh we had um Uh, we also had, uh, uh, Jeff speaking about, uh, health and, uh, we had, we had a really good time, uh, with that as well. They're, they're a good bunch of people. There's their website. And, uh.
Speaker1: And Dave was instrumental in making my presentation, uh, a success. So Dave, thank you for your help.
Speaker3: Oh, of course. There was Apple Health and Apps. Yeah. So we, uh, yeah, it was kind of fun that we, we went through and, uh, and as you were talking, I had the iPhone hooked up and I made some dummy, uh, health data. Because obviously i don't want to be showing my health data on the presentation uh so so two good two really cool groups and uh yeah please check them out i'm gonna have a link in the show notes for both those organizations and you can join them if you want to especially uh uh and mug they're they're a pretty amazing uh uh macintosh user group with all kinds of meeting um uh classes and they do weekly meetings which is amazing you could go back and watch them a lot of good in fact uh terry white's going to be on next month with them or next month next week i think it's next week yeah as we're recording here so i'm
Speaker2: Going to be in april uh with
Speaker3: Naples and you're speaking there yes right as well i think i'm going to be in april again too i'd have to i have to start thinking about what i'm going to talk about next so yeah also shout out to tucson mac apple user group mac user groups they i'm speaking with them on uh february 17th so i'm going to do the same presentation for them so so it's it's busy seeing some of that mac user groups i'm excited and i'm sure chuck appreciates it too because he's always always been very supportive of mac user groups so um but with that thank you what a great show i i really appreciate you being here so before we go i want to make sure i find out where everybody can be found you know go reverse this timeline and start with jill mckinley thank you always for being here it's such a pleasure to have you part of the show and uh what uh where can people find you
Speaker2: Well, you can, the best way to find me is to go to jillfromthenorthwoods.com. That is just the links to all the ways of contacting me and all my podcasts. And you can find them. And I just rehosted all my podcasts, so they should be faster and better than ever. So thank you so much for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker3: Oh, absolutely. So glad you're here. And Jeff Gamet, so glad you're here. Where can people find you?
Speaker1: Well, let's see. How about on social media as Jay Gamet, mostly on Mastodon, Pixel Fed, and Blue Sky right now. And then for shows, Tuesdays on Chuck's Mac Voices Live, here with you on Thursdays for In Touch With iOS, then on the British Tech Network for The Big Show and The Mac Show. Brian Chaffin and I do The Context Machine and Patrice Brendamore and I do Retro Rewatch and as we record I think it's okay for me to let everyone know that Friday, January 16th that's when the next episode of Retro Rewatch drops and that will be the season three cliffhanger episode, end of the season cliffhanger episode for Stargate SG-1 There you go,
Speaker3: There's your plug right there
Speaker1: Everything tastes better in a Retro Rewatch mug.
Speaker2: It does. Nice.
Speaker3: And Chuck Joyner, thank you for being here. Glad you're back with us after your long CES adventure. Where can people find you?
Speaker0: Macvoices.com. That's where you'll find all of the CES coverage as we get it edited and out to you, along with mixed in with some of our regular Mac Voices content. Tuesday nights live at YouTube.com slash Mac Voices TV. And on the socials as at Chuck Joyner. Thank you, Dave.
Speaker3: Thank you.
Speaker0: Thank you.
Speaker3: Last but certainly not least, Eric Bolden, where can people find you? They can be found on Mastodon at eabolden at mas.to. Otherwise, Monday nights on Vision Profiles, covering all the Vision OS stuff with Dave and Marty. Tuesdays on Mac Voices with all the macOS news. And of course, Thursday is in touch with iOS and rounding out the week, covering everything else and summing it all up. Excellent. Thank you, Eric. And all right, that's a wrap for this week. Please save your comments, questions, suggestions to our email address, which is feedback at intouchwithios.com. You can follow us on Blue Sky and Macedon at intouchwithios. Support the show. Buy me a coffee at intouchwithios.com slash coffee. We'd really appreciate it. You can become a patron of the show by going to patreon.com slash intouchwithios. We have two tiers available to support the show. We'd really appreciate it. make sure you like share and subscribe when you are notified. So you're notified when we're live streaming, which is on Thursday nights at 8 PM Eastern, 5 PM Pacific on our YouTube channel, which is youtube.com slash touch by iOS, where you can be in the chat room. We saw with a bracket and we had Brian in the chat web. Craig was in the chat. Thank you all for being here this week. And you can hang out with us live here while we're recording. You can watch the live stream and watch the past live streams. And you can also listen to past shows. You can subscribe to the show in your favorite podcatcher, including Apple Podcasts, as we just talked about, Pocket Casts, Overcasts, and many others. But better yet, just go to our website, intouchableios.com, where all the links to all the ways you listen to us are on that site. I am Dave Ginsberg. You can find me and you can find me at the following places here besides this show on Vision Profiles on Monday nights with Eric and Monty. On Tuesday nights on Mac Voices Live with Chuck and the gang. And then Thursday nights we're here recording and then on the Mac show on the British Tech Network on Fridays. And don't forget if you're already watching this episode and you may have missed it, we did record episode 403 this week with Katie folks and Jeff Gammon and I had a great blast talking about videos and VHS tapes and streaming and all kinds of fun stuff with that, thanks again for listening thanks again for being here we'd really appreciate it until next time, we'll talk again soon